Sign in to follow this  
lancelot

Mixed emotions!

Hi all,

C has been having a really good patch at school (he's in Year 6) -- several 'firsts' for his school life, like joining in with extension groups for maths and literacy, doing a lunchtime K'Nex club, and going to Safer Cycling sessions.

Yesterday was the Harvest Festival, and I arrived and started scanning the church for the usual hunched little figure with his hood zipped up to the eyes. Couldn't see him anywhere and started to worry. Then I spotted him: in the choir stalls in front of the whole crowd, between his two best friends, sharing a song sheet and singing as if he did this daily. Afraid I made a bit of a nelly of myself at that point :crying:

Luckily for me, his halo slipped and he started conducting the choir with his fluffy toy cat after a while, and then continued to sing the same song (ever so softly and tunefully) throughout the vicar's little chat, and the prayers, and the next class's poem... that's my boy.

Part of me is thinking, though, what a shame that his successes are coming in his last year at this school. We're only just getting things right for him as he's gearing up to leave!

In the evening he had Scouts, another new venture for him this term. He's been twice before and loved it, but this week was a bit of a disaster. The leaders had decided to split up all friendship groups for the evening's activity (a walk in the dark, in the rain, with torches) because 'scouting is all about getting on with everybody'. C of course wouldn't move groups, just stood there looking desperate and crying frantically. So the deputy leader went up and bawled at him, right in his face, that he was ruining it for everyone, and that in scouts he would jolly well do as he was told and no nonsense.

I got through the door at this point and let him have it -- told him that he was shouting at an autistic child in distress, and unless C went back with his friends immediately he would need to leave right now with me, as he could not be expected to cope without support. I think I may have brought in disability rights, reasonable adjustment, and scouts as an inclusive movement, but I never do know quite when to stop :whistle: .

To do him justice, the bloke did stop shouting and come over to ask me more about it. First thing he said was, 'Is he autistic then? I thought he had Asperger's. Has he got both? I've had an Aspergers one before but he wasn't autistic.'

C is not even the only autistic child there! One of the other new kids has Asperger's (I know the family), and another older boy has ASD with speech delay. Give that these are mostly ten-yr-olds, splitting them up into unfamiliar groups and expecting ANY of them to cope seems a bit rich -- especially in the dark. I don't want to leap on them too heavily; as I said, C loved the first two weeks, and racing about outdoors suits him, but I want him safe too.

I think they need basic information fast! Anyone know a really good simple leaflet? I'd rung and written to the main leader beforehand and she sounded very reasonable and (I thought) quite well informed about it, but clearly all the adults need to know more.

Bit of a ramble, sorry!

Kathryn -- thanks, that looks perfect! I have a few from the NAS, but hadn't seen that one. I think I'll highlight the 'circle of friends' part, and the bit about not shouting.

Lxx