Sign in to follow this  
Deblegs

Employing my own Support Worker

Dear All

I had a meeting with my Social Worker and my friend and colleague, to discuss employing my own Support Worker.

Unfortunately this is not going to happen as it is too complicated. My Social Worker was given a pile of papers about it. Also I would have to do a job description and state exactly what I would want the Support Worker to do and the hours I would need them for. I am not able to do either as I don't need fixed help as I can do a lot for myself.

The Direct Payment System is only suitable for those who need fixed help eg needing help to get out of bed each morning or help with cooking meals.

However, in the future if I need fixed help such as a cleaner to clean my house, which I will need help with, then I can easily get the Direct Payment back.

One or two good things did come out of the meeting though.

I am not able to handle some of my affairs on my own without help. I have been told that if I write a letter giving my permission for someone to deal with my affairs on my behalf, this can be done. The person will not make decisions for me. They will just do the communicating for me and give me guidance about decisions.

This is because when you are an adult, the professions won't involve the parents, unless you give written permission for the parents to do so.

My friend said that she would be happy to be this person.

My friend has also said that she would talk to my family about my future eg. when something happens to Dad and where I will live. I am really pleased about this because I have problems talking about things that are afar off because I can't process information outside of now.

From Debbie Hudson