chrissie

peadiatrician app. @ two yrs.

Hello,my two and a half yo daughter has been referred by our h.v to the peadiatrician for an assesment because she has concerns about her social development. Im just wondering if anybody has experienced this at this sort of age and if so what is it they are looking for and how do they look for it ect. I just want some sort of idea of what to expect from the appointment. Thankyou. x

My ds#2 was seen at the child and family unit at 2 years after being referred by our HV. We had a list of things such as not liking to get his hands dirty, very picky eater and you know I can't remember the other things! We have a ds#1who was diagnosed with AS at 4.

Basically what they said to us was unless it was a very clear autism (classical autism or similar where the child is very affected) it was impossible to diagnose a more 'subtle ASD such as AS at such a young age.

They agreed that lots of the things we had listed were things that could make us think 'autistic?' but also that many, many 2 year olds are very rigid and particular just because they are 2.

In our case we agreed that it definately wasn't 'severe' autism (I don't know how to put that) and to wait until ds#2 was 3 and at nursery. We do attend regularly about ds#1 with ds#2 present so they've seen him since he was a baby and always comment on how happy and social he is (compared to ds#1 I think!) although I've talked myself out of being concerned and back into being a wee bit worried again

I know that's not an answer as such but thought maybe our experience may help.

yes this is really helpful and sounds very like annie to me. im sure that they will say she is too young and its too mild to diagnose but there is deffintly something there and i think it will become more obvious as she gets older,hopefully im wrong!! thankyou for your help. xx