Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

Grrr

Just came across this on the web from Cutting Edge documentary Bad Behaviour "expert" - Warwick Dyer in answer to the question ...

I'm currently looking into the possibility that our son may have Asperger Syndrome. I suspect that the way we handle his behaviour may be different if he has - so I feel we need to fully explore this first. Do you have any experience in this?

10. Impairment or handicap. Symptoms of Asperger disorder have to be severe enough to cause significant impairment in every day life. Simple examples would include having to attend a special education class, inability to participate in community activities without extra support, serious problems with behaviour (such as disruptive or aggressive behaviour), or serious impact on family life.

[This last "disruptive or aggressive behaviour, or serious impact on family life" is also the main criteria for the need for behavioural help. It is even more likely that the problem is one of "behaviour management" rather than Aspergers if your son functions well, fairly normally, in any situation outside the home where he has to interact with others. If he can do this, say, for periods at school, or when he is with grandparents or other relatives, when he is with a child minder, or at an after school club etc, then this tells you that his problem is "situation specific".

http://www.behaviourchange.com/we-think-ou...rs-Syndrome.htm