Sign in to follow this  
JJ's mum

Food phobia/vomittng

Does anyone know if food phobias can be caused by aspergers. I know picky eating is quite common and my son has been picky all his life, his diet consisting of bread, chicken, roast potatoes and chips.

I usually encourage him to try new things but just lately he is vomitting at the sight of food if it isnt a food he loves.

I dont have a clue if he is ill. He doesnt look ill before the food is offered but then he rapidly turns grey round his mouth. Sometimes like it today it is instant. He looked fine, my daughter offered him a doughnut and he just said that he didnt want food and threw up everywhere. This has only been happening a few months but I cant take them anywhere because of this. Anyone any ideas?

It could be an AS thing - C doesn't vomit, but he does gag, especially if someone thrusts the offending food under his nose. As for vomiting, C gives no notice (when he's ill, or in the car) - he doesn't feel sick, he just is. It even takes him by surprise. Sorry, no suggestions though.... maybe someone else could be more help

It could be an AS thing - C doesn't vomit, but he does gag, especially if someone thrusts the offending food under his nose. As for vomiting, C gives no notice (when he's ill, or in the car) - he doesn't feel sick, he just is. It even takes him by surprise. Sorry, no suggestions though.... maybe someone else could be more help

JJ has always gagged in the past and hates certain textures. eg he usually eats mashed potato but if its even the slightest bit thicker than usual he would gag.

Since 1st Jan when we tried to tell JJ that turkey was chicken and he vomitted after gagging and said it was dry, he has been vomitting a lot. Today was the first time he has vomitted. My daughter did present him with the doughnut pretty. Im wondering if he has just sussed that throwing up with avoid having to eat a couple of mouthfuls. I am currently aiming for 5 mouthfuls of each meal and he does this with some meals.

He never vomits with sandwiches and will often eat half a round and rarely refuses but any meal on a plate is a non starter.

Hi JJ's Mum,

my son too vomits with food. He has always been a fussy eater and would gag as a baby when i was weaning him, but his problem at the moment is his sandwhiches at school. I always use the same bread and ham and cut them the way he likes them so i know he'll eat them, but one day i must've used a different bread or ham- not sure which and he has practically become phobic about it. After the offending packed lunch he would become upset about lunchtime before he even left for school it got to the point i was having to pick him up because the anxiety was becoming so bad he would have a sore tummy, he'd go white sometimes throw up and then fall asleep wherever he was, this i think is stomach migraines brought on by stress. Even just the smell is enough to make him sick,he'll say they were 'off'

Last week he actually threw up in the bin in the playground at lunchtime and was completely fine afterwards. It does become very entrenched and the anxiety is very real. I have just persisted with the sandwhiches and made sure i use exactly what he likes and he is less stressed about it but will try his best not to eat them, and now and then he will throw up.

And by the way my son hates doughnuts too, don't know if it's the smell so the gooey jam that puts him off, again another sensory thing i would say :blink:

It is a worry and i wish my boy would eat more things but gradually he has tried different things and hopefully he'll eat some decent food one of these days!