Sign in to follow this  
kk1

cancelled appointment!!!!

hello i'm new here but i have been lurking for a while plucking up the courage to post!

we have just reached the end of our tether and are unsure what to do now any advice would be really helpful.

our ds aged 11 has been seeing camhs for a year now, we are trying to a dx autism/dyspraxia but they seem very reluctant to give a dx. last week he had a welscher (sp) test and yesterday we were due to go and get the results but they rang up and cancelled!!!! my question is what will they tests show up? has any one else had these tests? what should i be asking for next are there any other tests i should be asking for?

sorry for all the questions, i hope i am making sense. we are screaming out for help for our son but it seems no one believes us, the school doesn't see a problem yet our home life is a nightmare!!!

any advice please help

thank you

Hi Welcome to the forum.I have a son Ben.He has a Dx of DCD [Dyspraxia ]and Social Communication difficulties.Some professionals consider him to have Asperger Syndrome but Camhs do not think he currently has enough ASD traits for a clear Dx -so I understand your frusration.

The Wechsler test is a test of intelligence-it examines both verbal and none verbal abilities in several areas.The person administering the test can use various subtests to find strengths and areas of weakness.In our case the test was one of many assessments done by various professionals.An OT did a seperate Assessment that showed the DCD and a SALT did an ADOS which showed the Social Communication Difficulties.In our case the ADOS was the significant assessment for the ASD bit of Ben's profile.I hope that is a bit clearer :blink::blink: I know it is very confusing .

It also took a long time to convince school that Ben may have more than an attitude problem-we were fortunate that a knowledgable teacher understood.When I put up a post here saying that Ben is different at home cf school loads of others here responded that they noticed the same thing.So you have lots of company here.

Edited by Karen A