Sign in to follow this  
witsend

Career advice?

Hi all - have posted recently about being fed up and have realised one if the main things getting me down is my job. I work as a Staff nurse in palliative care have worked in the same place for 10 years now and am really fed up and ready for a change. Think I've only stayed as long as I have because the moneys pretty good and they have let me work 'child friendly' hours, however there is really no room for promotion and if I took any other nursing jobs shifts would be involved which are impossible now for me. So....have decided to apply for a job that has come up locally as a TA at a school for children with disabilities, will have to work more hours for probably less money but think this will be worth it to be doing something I actually want to do and the school holidays would be a bonus too.

I know from being on the forum there are quite a lot of you TA's out there and just wondered if you enjoy your jobs? Also the job I'm applying for is a level 2 post, now I have my nursing quals (adult and childrens nursing) and have had a couple of placements in the past in schools, but it is over 10 years since I worked with children and I don't have the NVQ level 2. Do you think my other quals and home experiance will make up for this? Do you think they will think I'm overqualified or not qualified enough?

I've got the application form sat in front of me and can feel a bit of dither coming on :lol: actually having to fill it in because I'm really starting to get my hopes set on the job and I don't want to mess it up.

Any advice, thoughts appreciated,

Thanks Luv Witsend.

Hi I thought I might drop you a note as I have had very similar experiences to you.I worked as a District nurse pre children.I never returned to nursing as I could not see how I could fit work around child care.I trained as a TA a few years ago.I worked as a TA for a few weeks and worked as a lunch time supervisor for about 4 years.

I found it very difficult to adapt to a TA role -partly because I had spent many years as a student nurse and junior staff nurse being told what to do.I was not prepared to tidy up simply to be seen to be doing something.Perhaps I have become a stroppy *** in my old age. :D:D

I also had more life experience than many staff and much more medical knowledge-which could be difficult in some situations.

Regarding the level 2 qualification you would need to check whether nursing Qualifications are accepted-they may ask for a specific SEN or Childcare course- :wacko::wacko: Frustrating I know.

The other thing that is worth checking is whether working in a school with children with disabilities could create difficulties re your nurse registration.For example might you be involved in what could be seen as nursing care-and how would that effect your registration if there was an issue with something you did.

I do not want to put you off.I am sure that if you are a parent on the forum you will have more than enough experience.Also you will be very aware of the needs of parents and the stresses they face.

It is worth checking how much less well off you will be.TA pay is significantly less than RGN pay especially if you have been in post 10 years.

Having said all of the above I know there are others here who find TA work really rewarding.If you have worked in palliative care for 10 years then I totally understand why you would like a change. :notworthy::notworthy:

Regards Karen.

I enjoy working as a teaching assistant a lot. My favourite job was in a special school too. I also don't have any of the qualifications for teaching assistant work. The spec sheet for my present post listed it as required but I ended up with that job. It sounds like you have a lot more experience than me in relavent areas too. To help you work out what they required from me I'll list my jobs and other experience (without school names) below:

During Lower Sixth Form took part in a scheme ran by my Secondary School where by I went to a local Primary on a once a fortnight basis for half a day. (Worked in Year 4 mainly with the gifted and talented students - Attended more regualarly when possible and when working towards my A-Levels allowed it.)

Achieved 2 B's (in Physics and Maths and a D in Chemistry at A-Level. Also managed to fail further maths (this got me into Durham Uni though. Don't ask!) Also have 3As, 5Bs, a C and a D at GCSE including B for English. The As were maths and science.

Messed up my degree at Durham so ended up on a non honours course. Graduated with a BSc in Physics and Earth Science (Earth Science part was mainly geophysics). That was in 2004.

Spent 6 months voluntary teaching in Kenya (2 years ago this summer). Mainly taught Physics and Biology. This was at the secondary level. Still good friends with the teaching staff who I worked with. Visiting them this summer.

Had just over 6 months on Income Support whilst trying to find work. Applied for teacher training for the first time. Was unsuccessful but was told if I targeted a couple of areas they would be happy to have me in the future.

Was forced to send speculative letters off to schools. Thought this was a big no no. One of them ended up getting me a job. School had listed post and had no suitable applicants. They decided that from my CV I was promising so got me in for interview. Worked 3 days a week for just under a term as a support assistant. Mainly supporting students in my weakest subjects Modern Foriegn Languages. I hadn't even done German before. Got on well with staff however and found it easier than I feared. Interview ended up as them convincing me to take the job. Was a temp. contract to the summer. Still at this stage was hopefull for teacher training so didn't apply for permanent position. They would have liked me to though from later comments.

After Summer got work as a Supply Teaching assistant in a special school for children with autism. Again fitted in very well. Spent the equivelent of around a term there in total. Miss all the staff and students. Once again bonded really well with everyone. Staff again very favourable about my work.

Presently working back in mainstream as a teaching assistant. Didn't really know if I wanted the job or much about the school when I went for interview. Then seemed to be on fire, giving really good answers to all the questions. I guess it is what happens when you don't feel any pressure. Enjoying it and starting to get to know staff and students. Will be there to the summer. After the summer I start teacher training.

I hope that gives you an idea of how I got in and a bit more confidence about your chances. I also had quite a few interviews where I was second favourite. Normally after someone who had a little more experience than me. Gave a few interview panels a hard time though (or at least that is what they told me). If I can manage to get in with the little experience I had I'm sure you can. Incase your interested the teacher training program asked me to work on my experience of secondary schools and knowledge of Biology after first interview.

Good luck, David.

Thanks for the replies - Karen you have raised some points I've already thought about and some I hadn't, certainly food for thought and really interesting to hear your experiences. Isn't it crazy how nursing is such a female profession and yet still so un family freindly? :P Am now curious to know what you did next and are you working at the moment? I think I can cope with being told what to do even by others without as much experience because it's a bit like that where I work now TBH :D . The drop in pay does obviously bother me but am thinking I will prob re train (either teacher training/or social work maybe) after a while so would have to take a drop in pay somewhere along the line unless I stay where I am forever. :(

David thanks for letting me know your experiences too, from your recent posts here it's obvious you're committed to and caring about your job and the kids you teach, so the profession is lucky to have you! :thumbs: I think you're right about interviewing better when you don't feel pressured, so if I do go for interview I'm gonna keep this in mind and try not to make it into a big deal.

Both your posts have made me wonder wether I should cut out the middle man and just apply for teacher training but I'm impatient and want to change jobs NOW and am guessing they would want me to have experience I haven't got of working in schools, so maybe not then :wacko: .

Will keep you posted, still got a week before the application has to be in.

Luv Witsend.

Hi There.

I've been working as TA in a special school for 4 and a half years and it is the most challenging but fulfilling work I have ever done.

I was taken on as a voluteer, then supply, then i continued worked while doing my NVQ and now I have a permanent contract and an NVQ 3.

Whether they will take you on and let you train on the job deppends on the school.

I would never be teacher as the amout of work, preparation and paperwork is horrendous.

As a TA I get the enjoyment of being with the kids but not the hassle of the extra work that goes with being a teacher.

I can't see how any nursing training could possibly contradict any working practices withing the school environment. If anything it would be an advantage.

Hope this helps

mummy x

Hi

Very interesting reading the replies on here. I'm a teacher (mainstream primary) and currently doing a job share 3 days a week (sometimes 4) I also have 2 children aged 5 and 7. Little one severe autism and SLD etc etc!! I agree with comments about teaching. I would think twice if I were you as the paperwork and planning etc are truly horrendous. I LOVE the actual job of being with the children - it's still the only job I would ever have chosen but on my 'days off' I plan and mark all day as my son needs attention every minute he's awake. When he's asleep it's straight back to work. Sometimes I wonder how long I can keep it up - often feel very stressed but don't think I could be LSA. I am just too bossy!

Love Elun xxx :D

I can't say I'm looking forward to all the paper work. I guess in a special needs school (which is where I would like to end up teaching in the long term) it is probably even worse. Having said that at least you have less students to worry about so I guess it may even itself out. If you did want to try going straight for teaching I expect you could probably manage that. They seem to be less strict when it comes to slightly older candidates and more flexible in what they take as relivent experience. The magic age when you talk to most people is 25. This is when various other possible routes into teaching open up. My view is also if teaching is too hard I can always go back to support work as I know how much I like working in schools. It could well be benefitial to the school long term as it means if I did need to act up as a teacher I would be fully qualified. Having said that at the moment the only thing I think I'll miss as a teacher is the variety of lessons I have been in as a teaching assistant. I will probably come to miss all my free time too. I wonder just how much peer assesment I can get away with. ;)