Sign in to follow this  
JJ's mum

First Paed appointment date come through

I just wanted to say that my paediatrican appointment has come through, after being referred by my health visitor.

The lady we have apparently is knowledgeable with diagnosing ASD. Does anyone know if I need to do anything to prepare or what will be done at a first appointment?

The letter from the hospital says nothing other than the date and time of the appointment.

Edited by JJ's mum

we just went though reeces history and his behaviours. then he watched him play and draw. goodluck wiyh the appointment

love donnaxx

Hi we were in a similar situation and just had our first appointment on monday, i went in with 4 A4 pages of lists of unusual behaviours and concerns that i have, and had kept a list of everything her nursery school teachers had mentioned.

I also took photos and camera footage, and letter from SALT.

My referal to him had also come from Hv, but as she and gp didn't back me i wasn't particularly hopeful of a good outcome.

However i was to find out consultant has son with HFA, and therefore we got a diagnosis of HFA ourselves within five minites. I think it may have been a different story if he hadn't have had good experience.

I think its great you are seeing someone with experience of ASD, and would just advise you to take as much evidence of your concerns as possible, you know your child better than anyone.

I know our situation was rare and extremly lucky, i just hope you are as fortunate in getting the help and support you need for your child.

Very best of luck with your appointment, hope this helps, let us know how you get on xxxxxxx

Thanks, I planned to take a couple of pages of notes id taken. I didnt think of making a video. I might set camcorder up. My son is looking more autistic these past few weeks in his behaviour, so im sure if she is experienced as people say she is then she will be convinced.

Im not sure if she will attempt to diagnose. I was under the impression that he would be seen by a multi discplinary team which I presume will be another time.

Appointment not until end April, but will let you know how we get on.

I was also expecting multi disciplinary, but consultant said he felt there was no point prolonging things when he felt it so evident, so maybe depends on your areas procedures.

Im still a bit in shock of how quick things happened, as i thought there was usually more diagnostic tests to be performed and others to consult, do you have involvment with other professionals?

Best of luck xxxx