Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Help with Interview Questions

What would be your key questions that you would ask??

I have:

Do you have experience in this type of work?

What attracted you to the post?

What is your understanding of autism?

How would you deal with tantrums/challenging behaviour?

Also the usual do you smoke/drive etc..

I've never done anything like this before so dont really know what I should be asking! Their list of standard questions wasn't much help either.

Lynne x

I'd be tempted to give them a few scenarios and see what sort of answers you get. For instance when applying for my TA position I was asked things like:

Your on the yard. One student has just fallen over and looks like they've hurt themselves. However you have also just noticed two students who look like they are about to have a fight. What would you do?

If you come up with some related to the person they would be careing for you can work out whether they would treat (or at least know how to treat) the person in the way you would want them to.

Hello Lynne,

Have you thought about asking at your local Colleges. They often run child care and Nursery Nurse courses. My friend recruited some brilliant young girls who still had the advice and backup of College. Does your local SS department have a list of registered child minders (I think they have to but Im not sure). You may find someone suitable there.

Good luck

Lorainexx

Lorraine - we have already got applicants for the post - its just a case of questions.

This is my list so far:

Do you have experience of working with special needs kids?

What is your understanding of autism (this is more to see if they've done any homework as they will get training)

What attracted you to the post?

How would you deal with difficult or challenging behaviour?

What would you do on a typical day with Logan?

Do you like pets? (important because we have many!)

Do you smoke?

How would you physically manage Logan /Physical handling (would explain how Logan often needs to be carried, has to be pinned down to be changed etc)

Hi Lynne,

I haven't employed anyone in this kind of role but I have sometimes had to interview applicants as part of my job.

I think your questions cover the important areas, - but I agree with David it's good to ask specific and practical questions - eg. describe a particular situation where Logan has been difficult and challenging and ask what they would do. This shows you that they can apply their knowledge to real life situations and gives you a good idea of what their personal approach is likely to be. It will also give them a clear idea of exactly what the job entails and make sure you're speaking the same language - ("difficult and challenging" is open to interpretation!) If you ask general questions, you might get the textbook response, and they will obviously tell you what you want to hear, but it tells you less about their skills and experience.

I'd be inclined to ask, "tell me about your experience with special needs kids", which invites a longer, well though out response than "Do you have experience" which will obviously get the answer "yes".

I'd also want to know why they left their previous job, and what their future plans are, this will give you a good idea of how serious they are.

Don't forget to invite them to ask you questions as well - the kind of questions they ask can reveal a lot too.

Good luck: I hope you find the right person.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Sorry Lynne, that will teach me to read posts more carefully.

I would ask if they can use Makaton, most people who work with autistic children/adults would have some knowledge of its use.

Thanks all. Now after the interviews I'm even more stuck.

How do you choose the right person to look after your child. Both of the candidates we saw today were really lovely people, completely different, but very lovely, and I'd let them look after Leona in a minute (she can tell me what goes on). But Logan is a whole different kettle of fish. The both have their pluses and minuses:

Candidate 1:

PROS:

is 47, has her own kids and grandkids so has experience. Has worked in curriculum support albeit with older kids. Her second child had hearing problems and was challenging

Is local and has no other committments

is obviously very patient

Has never worked with a young child with autism, but has knowledge and experience of working with SN kids

I would get on really well with her

She would have no problems on the odd occasion she had to deal with both kids

CONS:

She is legally blind. Her peripheral vision is fine, its mainly just reading, but she has gadgets to help. However, PECS is becoming fairly integral for Logan, so she'd need to be able to do that, and wouldn't be able to use her gadgets as the response has to be immediate. However because its short term till Sept, the ones we use she could easily just go by the pictures and not worry about the words.

She doesn't/cant drive so wouldn't be able to take him out on trips other than to the local swing park

She also has partial hearing in one ear, although give her her due we would not have noticed today if she hadn't said.

Candidate 2:

PROS

She is young and enthusiastic and I think the kids would take to her well.

She wants to work with SN children so is keen to learn.

I think she'd be fab with him at keeping him entertained and she's also keen to work with me to find out what Logan likes etc

She works in a creche environment at the moment within a school, and with local polish children (we have immigrants here because the fishing boats emply them)

She can drive and has a car so would be able to take Logan out.

CONS

She is only 18 and has no kids of her own. You do have a different understanding I think. SHe does have a brother of 5.

I think although its what she wants to do, having no prior knowledge at all, working with a child with SN like Logans might come as a bit of a shock to her.

I'm not as sure she'd cope with both together.

I'm not sure how it would work if she got another job with more hours etc

I am seeing another girl next Tuesday, who on paper fills in the blanks they leave, but I dont want to pin all my hopes on her either. I can do second interviews, and I can have them all in for a session, but to be honest I dont think having them in for a session would give much indication as they'd probably have to pretty much leave him alone - it'll take a few before we see him react to anyone.

Candidate 1 I really like, but I'm just not sure about her not being able to take him out etc. He has to gain from it as well as just me getting time off. Her having experience helps too, although I wonder if she'd have the same understanding when Logan is challenging as her son - its different someone knowingly being difficult than not, like Logan.

Candidate 2 I'd probably hire if we were going to be here longer term because she is so enthusiastic and I think it is a job she would do well - I'm just not sure she would be so effective in the short term.

Any thoughts?

Lynne x

I think that the older lady will be more inclined to be "set in her ways." I know I am to a certain extent! The big minus for me is that she has no transport.

Don't write off the young girl because she's young - she will also be more flexible to be trained to your (and Logan's) ways because she has no experience. I was constantly amazed when I worked in residential by some of the young employees, 17-18yr olds, they treated the residents like siblings, had fun, interracted and showed great maturity in their dealings.

A very difficult decision for you, go with your gut on this one I would say. Much like choosing schools you know what feels right or not. Could you invite them for a taster session with your children? I'm sure Logan will have her sussed in 2mins! My thoughts anyway. Love Kat

I think young girls have the energy and patience with our kids. At my son's school the teachers all love the attention of " we are the ones who care for your son" but it's really the young classroom assistants who do all the work and you can see they love the kids. They are down to earth and genuine. I would be happy to recruit a young girl.

Thanks guys - I must admit out of the two I'd probably go for the younger girl because I know the kids would take to her. Will see what the one next week says and then decide!

Lynne x