Sign in to follow this  
lisa35

friendships

Just wondering if this is typical issue for all kids, or just ours

My son is 11 and finds making/ keeping friends difficult, has a really good friends at mo, a lovely lad, they never have a wrong word

Anyway, he asked him today who his @best " friend is and he listed some, with m yson as number 3, theres no mailice there, but my lad is heart broken. Partly as this lad and his other friend (who Joe is scared will make his friend go off him!) are going on school trip to France , my son had chance to go , but decided not to! Anyway, bless him, says he feels "guilty" (think he means more left out) as its his mates bday while in France and my lad thinks hes letting this lad down as he wont be there for his bday!!

Hes so giving, doesnt seem to play the games most kids play, and when gets a friend its all consuming

Is this typical do u think for 11 yr olds?

Lisa xx

Hi Lisa, freindships are a difficult area for our kids for sure. My son finds it quite easy to make freinds (well he did more when he was younger) but he always seemed to fall out with them pretty quickly too :( and never seemed to know the reason why, except according to him it was always their fault not his!! I think it's often hard for them to be friends with a group because there is so much complex social rules etc going on, so maybe when they find someone they like and they think likes them they want to keep that to themselves, and get worried about sharing it. It seems to me boys tend to do the group thing more than girls do, maybe that's why my son tends to get on easier and for longer with girls?

I think prob the age your son (and mine) is it is maybe an added difficulty what with the dreaded hormones raising their head!

I hope your lad doesn't stress too much while his friends away, could you maybe set a date for them to go somewhere nice together when he gets back, so he has that to look forward to?

Take care

Luv Witsend.

Oh dear the dam friendship business, trouble is kids are so fickle, but obviuosly for our ASD kids its hard for them to understand. Perhaps he could see his friend off to France with a small gift & card for his Bday so he won't feel so bad about missing it, I think witsends idea of organising something after the trip would be a lovely idea and a chance for them to reaffirm their friendship.

Good luck with this one. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x