Sign in to follow this  
prhancocks

Holiday to Florida

Hi all,

I'm trying to orgainse a trip to Florida for my son, is there any where I can get help for this??????? Also there's another 5 child places and 10 Adults available if anyone is interested ( Got a Good deal with Virgin staying at the Animal kingdom lodge) Holiday is for Nov 07.

Best regards

:jester:

Edited by prhancocks

Hi all,

I'm trying to orgainse a trip to Florida for my son, is there any where I can get help for this??????? Also there's another 5 child places and 10 Adults available if anyone is interested ( Got a Good deal with Virgin staying at the Animal kingdom lodge) Holiday is for Nov 07.

Best regards

I dont know about funding, but I do know that American Airlines are pretty good when it comes to ASD kids. They will let you do a Rehersal, assign someone to look after you and let you queue jump for checking in. In some cases they will let you use the first class lounge even if you are flying economy. Just let them know you are flying with an autistic child before hand.

Sarah

Edited by Diamondmask

Hi all,

Best regards

Hi I took my family this time last year and my 12 yr old has A/S.

Have you looked at the dibb? http://www.thedibb.co.uk/

It is a forum dedicated to everything disney... I got some good info their last year and am using it again trying to plan for another holiday later this year.

Personally I didn't have a lot of luck with Virgin (I am in the minority) but Disney itself is wonderful for those with dissabilities... I felt almost normal when i was there!!! I am usually looking so harrassed and am always ready to fight my corner.. last year i was able to relax for the first time in a long time!

Anne

Hi,

We went 2 years ago with Virgin when my AS/ADHD son was 6. I e-mailed them beore we went and they said we could check in the night before (we stayed at the airport hotel). This made things much easier.

We were however disappointed that we were put in a "pen" in order to board first. They let all the first class passengers on whilst us "disabled" waited in our pen like sheep. We also weren't allowed off the plane before everyone else, which was very stressful for my boy.

We stayed in one of the Disney resorts, which was great because they have a constant stream of Disney buses that take you free to any of the parks.

We took our DLA form as proof for my son, but we never needed it. We just went to guest relations at the parks and got a queue jump pass. We never had to queue at all and to be honest i would never have gone if it hadn't been for this. My son could not cope in a queue.

Overall it was a fantastic holiday and i'd go again.

Loulou xx

Been to Disney several times but last year we went to guest relations and got a special pass for our stay . . With this you use the fast pass system for all the rides and it will tell you a time to return then you show your special pass and they will take you to an alternative opening route if the ride has one available. I will tell you some of the negative sides first...We had a horrendous time because so many of the staff were unaware of the pass and it's uses. When we showed it they read it and then took their own opinion of what they thought the card meant . Quite often we were directed back to queue, and we had to argue several times with attendants. We had to be very assertive with the attendants. Many saw our son without a wheel chair and presumed we were simply queue jumpers . They could not understand why we needed access to the alternative route and so every time we had to give the same explanation time and time again. Quite often the alternative route was a disabled access point with the wheel chair display. They could not grasp that this route was for anyone with additional needs. I was very angry because we had to constantly defend our right to have the card when it was clearly stated at guest relations that the attendants should only have to see the card and automatically give you access. Unfortunately this was not the case. this was further compounded becuase my son is unaware of his diagnosis and a member of the family had to occupy our son while we argued or case.

It was so bad at the Animal Kingdom site that we took 2 days out of our holiday to lodge a formal complaint so that our complaint could be dealt with during our stay rather than waiting to come home . Disney were genuinely upset and are using my letter for training purposes , they also gave us free passes for the family to be used within the next 20 years. I was pleased that they responded well to our complaints but because of the high turn around of staff not everyone will be trained.

Some things to consider before you go I don't know how well your child will cope with the buses to and from the different parks. If you stay out late the buses are jam packed like sardines and it was very stressful for me never mind my son.

The food you get in all the parks are the same no matter where you go . fast good with different names . Also in the hotel area we were disallousioned with the food hall. this was one large dining area with 4-6 areas eg, pancake area, pizza , what we found hard was the same menu was used every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, It was also what you could get at the parks so there was no real variety. this is o.k. if you are staying for a few days you can put up with it but for 2 weeks it was too much . Our son ate the same everywhere he went it was a shame. My sister adn I broke out in spots because of the poor diet!

Positives

There was no problem gaining the pass just go to guest relations and explain the situation.

When it worked it was great and alleviated all our stress . It also gave access to all the people in your party so you could all see the attractions together. I pass works for all the parks.

The pass worked very well when we went to get photographs with the characters . we were taken to all the rooms one after another. The water parks do not have a similar pass but we did use the special time set aside for disney guests . These are displayed inthe foyer of your accomodation.

Down town Disney have a special area for computer animated games adn rides . they have their own special pass and it was fantastic. We did not have any problem using it here and the staff were all aware of what the pass was for . this is a great place to go to if it is raining as it is all indoors.

i would not let our negative experiences put you off but I think it is best to be fore warned .

I am so sorry you has such a horrid time,

for us it was the total opposite, last easter addmitedly when we went to Magic Kingdom the first day, we met a real snotty lady who was saying to everyone... passes are not queue jumpin passes.... I was so scared I turned away....

In Animal kingdom, I was asking for something unrelated and my daughter with A/S had a meltdown.... The girl behind the desk was fantastic, and gave me a fresh bottle of water and asked if there was anything she could do, I told her about the day before at Magic Kingdom and said "It's not that we are quesue jumpers, people just don't understand' she told me that the woman was having an off day and gave us a pass that would fast track us on all rides or if that wasn't possible we would be allowed to use exits.

She also put on the pass a mark which allowed us to use wheel chair enclosures.

When we went on the Kilimanjaro safari, the ques were huge and I asked if we could stand somewhere quiet and showed my pass, he immediately told us to stand in the disabled bit, another attendant came over and asked about the problem and said "nope they can't wait here, the diasbled access truck, will be a while getting back, this little lady and her family don't need to be kept waiting.

We were immediately taken to the front of the queue and put on the next truck.... It was amazing! when we got back we were asked if we wanted to go around again!!!

I think it all depends on who you get on the day!!

I was worried I would be asked about the dissability as she looks absolutely fine, but Nope apart from that one woman on the first day everything was great....

Another incident happended on entry to magic kingdom on day 2 when everyone had to do the palm, finger print thing at the gates, the queses were huge and DD was getting agitated as she didn't know what to do, the security said"Come on miss you are holding the queue" I said... "Please be patient she is autistic" (this phrase seemed to work better than Aspergers) The security immediately told the queue behind us to move over to the next queue and had a chat with my daughter, explaining why they did the process, she was so kind.

My daughter soon calmed down as she wasn't feeling rushed.. and disaster was averted!

Hope you all have a great time if you are going this year, and I hope moncs you are not put off going again!

Anne

Been to Disney several times but last year we went to guest relations and got a special pass for our stay . . With this you use the fast pass system for all the rides and it will tell you a time to return then you show your special pass and they will take you to an alternative opening route if the ride has one available. I will tell you some of the negative sides first...We had a horrendous time because so many of the staff were unaware of the pass and it's uses. When we showed it they read it and then took their own opinion of what they thought the card meant . Quite often we were directed back to queue, and we had to argue several times with attendants. We had to be very assertive with the attendants. Many saw our son without a wheel chair and presumed we were simply queue jumpers . They could not understand why we needed access to the alternative route and so every time we had to give the same explanation time and time again. Quite often the alternative route was a disabled access point with the wheel chair display. They could not grasp that this route was for anyone with additional needs. I was very angry because we had to constantly defend our right to have the card when it was clearly stated at guest relations that the attendants should only have to see the card and automatically give you access. Unfortunately this was not the case. this was further compounded becuase my son is unaware of his diagnosis and a member of the family had to occupy our son while we argued or case.

It was so bad at the Animal Kingdom site that we took 2 days out of our holiday to lodge a formal complaint so that our complaint could be dealt with during our stay rather than waiting to come home . Disney were genuinely upset and are using my letter for training purposes , they also gave us free passes for the family to be used within the next 20 years. I was pleased that they responded well to our complaints but because of the high turn around of staff not everyone will be trained.

Some things to consider before you go I don't know how well your child will cope with the buses to and from the different parks. If you stay out late the buses are jam packed like sardines and it was very stressful for me never mind my son.

The food you get in all the parks are the same no matter where you go . fast good with different names . Also in the hotel area we were disallousioned with the food hall. this was one large dining area with 4-6 areas eg, pancake area, pizza , what we found hard was the same menu was used every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, It was also what you could get at the parks so there was no real variety. this is o.k. if you are staying for a few days you can put up with it but for 2 weeks it was too much . Our son ate the same everywhere he went it was a shame. My sister adn I broke out in spots because of the poor diet!

Positives

There was no problem gaining the pass just go to guest relations and explain the situation.

When it worked it was great and alleviated all our stress . It also gave access to all the people in your party so you could all see the attractions together. I pass works for all the parks.

The pass worked very well when we went to get photographs with the characters . we were taken to all the rooms one after another. The water parks do not have a similar pass but we did use the special time set aside for disney guests . These are displayed inthe foyer of your accomodation.

Down town Disney have a special area for computer animated games adn rides . they have their own special pass and it was fantastic. We did not have any problem using it here and the staff were all aware of what the pass was for . this is a great place to go to if it is raining as it is all indoors.

i would not let our negative experiences put you off but I think it is best to be fore warned .

We have been to Disney several times and have had different experiences. To be honest sometimes its just as quick and stress free to join a short line rather than wait at the disabled entrance. The lines move constantly which my son finds easier than the more lengthy wait involved with putting wheelchair bound people safely onto rides.

One tip I would give you is to leave before the fireworks or leave very slowly after and have a coffee or whatever. Thousands of people trying to get back to the car parks and home. The lines to get out are horrendous and I clearly remember one time waiting and waiting for our bus but each one was packed. My son was so upset and I was frantic. I went to one of the drivers of another bus for information. She was magnificent, attracted the attention of a taxi driver, waived us on and the driver drove us back to our hotel. The driver was lovely and we didnt have to pay a penny he said it would all be taken care of by Disney.

We have met some wonderfully kind people in Orlando and have always been treated with understanding. People seem far more aware of autism than over here

Have a great time and say hello to Mickey for me.

Loraine