Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

Brother stressed out

My Youngest (aged 10) has just given a great shout for help, by running away from school, because he wanted his mummy.... due to all the attention his AS brother needs, I can't give him as much as he needs, and he just wants to be home with me while his brother is at school.

Well, that is the situation very simplified. There is a lot more to it, a long history with school problems, ie bullying (though that has now stopped), being bored, not liking his teacher, lacking the social skills to properly make friends, etc. Then there are his health problems (stomach, headaches + poss epilepsy), and ofcourse having to deal with his brother's difficult behaviour and often bearing the brunt of it.

Question is, what can I do? How can I help him? He would love to be home educated, but school time is my respite time and I need it. I have an appointment with the psychologist tomorrow, which was meant for me alone (for the first time ever), but I will take him with me and request for her to assess him or whatever. What is the kind of thing I should ask for, for him? I did request before for them to see him, when he was badly bullied and just wanted to die, but they refused then(though they did talk to the school). What can I say or do so they will help him this time?

By the way, he was missing from school for at least 15 minutes before I rang them up, and they hadn't even missed him.....

Guest Lya of the Nox

hun i would have your own space tomoz, but bring him up at it for help.

Ask him what he would like, it may be simpler than you feel it will be,

somehow our others fall through cracks too

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

The thing is, if I take him (which has now been arranged with school anyway), she cannot refuse to see him as he is THERE. And his brother won't be there taking over any conversation, nor can we hurt his feelings by talking about him.

What he would like is to be at home, and not go to school, so home education. The educational side of things is easy, but as I mentioned before, it is my respite time and I need it. Also, I was hoping to spend some time with my eldest (who has almost become a stranger as all he does is lock himself in his bedroom) who will have some study leave next month, and

I can't give him time if I have to educate and spend time with the littler one...

Well, the psych saw him (didn't give her any choice really!) but it feels she is brushing it all off with remarks that at age 10 he is torn between staying little and growing up (true, but most kids will have those feelings, my 16 year old still does), he hasn't got the right examples of behaviour (tell me about it), and he prefers to be with his mum rather than be at school (I knew that!), I gave her lots of examples of other problems (esp lack of social skills and emotional immaturity (both already mentioned to her by school itself), stickler to the rules etc etc, but she just said that it is easy to see autistic traits in anyone when you live with it all the time.

Not too useful. Though I hope she'll give it more thought (she does see him as part of the whole family therapy sessions).

So, I still don't have a clue how to help him. At least he went to school this morning without too much fuss, spending extra time with me yesterday did him good, but taking him out of school to do so will only compound some of the problems more.