Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Really need help re hitting..

I feel a bit pathetic posting this because he's not even 4 and I'm a 32 year old grown woman, but when he starts lashing out it can be sore! I'm also acutely aware that in another few years he'll be bigger than me and its just going to get sorer. It also doesn't help that he wears stability boots from orthotics - he came fairly close to breaking my nose this week when he kicked me in the face (not on purpose, was just kicking out when I was putting him in the car - those boots REALLY hurt!)

The other thing is he's gone from hitting just me, to hitting Leona too (she's 5).

Basically since we moved he's been lashing out. I know its likely frustration because he's out of nursery and not in the system in terms of appointments for therapies yet (waiting for apointments with everyone after seeing CDC last week). He really kicks and hits when I put him in the car seat, take him out of the car into the house, when he's tired, when he wants something and can't tell me what.

He's in physicaly contact with me most of the time - its his thing, he's clingy, and although it can be suffocating I dont always mind, but sometimes for no reason he'll just kick or hit out.

He hits out at Leona when she comes near me, and sometimes just for no reason other than she's in his line of vision.

My problem is how to deal with it. Logan is still non-verbal with limited understanding. He doesn't *get* facial expression yet and tone of voice doesn't seem to make much impression either. With Leona I tend to remove 'her' from the situation and give her lots of attention. When its me, I either leave the room or put him down on the floor and ignore him. The only problem with that is he will then often self harm by headbanging really hard - we have wooden floors here.

There are also obviously situations wehre I can't walk away/put him down like when I'm carrying from the car (as he doesn't walk outside).

Any advice at all??

Lynne x

When Tom gets really upset I either count slowly to ten with him (he loves counting and numbers), or I sing a favourite song whilst holding and gently rocking him. He's 4 in a few days so I don't know what I'll do when he gets older. He's verbal but has very little functional language.