Viper

GP comments to my ASD DD

My 16 yr old DD went to the GPs surgery today, about a back problem that was caused when a boy at school pushed her off a chair and she broke her tail bone (can't spell the right word :oops: )

She wanted to go in on her own for the first time, I was very proud of her. Anyway, she saw the nurse practitioner and the first thing she asked her was if everything was OK at home. DD said she was asking her if she was being abused. I don't know what was actually said but DD was adament that that's what she was saying.

I really don't know where this has come from, except that we had social services involved a year ago over an incident that happened at school. We had the police involved and as she was a minor at the time a SW had to be present. All I can think is, this nurse read the SW report and has taken it all wrong.

What I need to know is, as DD is now 16 we don't have any rights with regard to what goes on between her and the GP/nurse so can we ask what this is about? It's a bit worrying if they think we have abused our DD especially as we have our superman with ASD as well, who is only 6.

Viper,

I do not honestly know what rights you have once your child reaches the age of 16. However, I do offer my sympathy in regards to how you were handled. It must have been awful for you to have your child injured by another child and then, when you take yours in for medical treatment, you are suspected of doing the injury yourself. More worrying is the effect it had on your daughter - she was there for treatment, not scurrilous questions about her parents. I realise that professionals have to follow protocol when they suspect foul play, but surely common sense should come into play, especially when handling a minor and one who has a disability. Why didn't the nurse ask how she received the injury first, and then - based on her response - probe more deeply (but tactfully and sensitively) if her answer seemed dubious or false? Sounds to me like the nurse was driving a bulldozer... :shame:

ddh