Sign in to follow this  
wishingwell

Lots of New Members

I'm cautious about this check out the names all in black today on-line .

Is our Personal Information safe? What can we do to safe guard it?

Going to see if they have been looking at mine.

I don't feel comfortable about all this extra activity on here.

It's an unfortunate fact of life on the web that there are people who use automated software to try and join forums and post adverts to them for everything from pharmaceuticals to dodgy web sites.

The extra members are almost certainly not 'people' at all but some sort of software program.

This is why the admins require email confirmation before people become full members, and the admins check out the internet address of every new member manually before approving any memberships. The fact that the members are listed in black means they are not full members and cannot post, send PM's or browse profiles, but as I said earlier I don't think most of them are 'people' at all.

Simon

Hi wishingwell/all -

just adding to Mossgroves post: the dodgy 'black names' have been appearing alongside of genuine non-validated members for ages now, and their have been several threads on this topic. All internet forums get this kind of problem, though different boards get round it in different ways, I guess so maybe some 'hide' validating members from the online lists(?)... As mossgrove said, they are usually auto generated and don't lead back to bona fide IP addresses.

The new validating system has been operational for well over a year now, and in that time not one 'dodgy' validation has slipped through the net. In fact, many of our newer members actually provide us with additional information so they don't have to wait the 24 hrs or so the checks take :)

As far as security goes, the forum software is updated whenever new releases become available. This can cause occassional 'glitches' like the 'minus' figures in PM statistics a while back, but these are minor considerations when balanced against secuirity updates.

In terms of personal info, the forum stores only the info provided to validate a request for membership, or that members choose to share in their personal profiles. Personal information inadvertantly placed on the boards is moderated appropriately, and the posters made aware of any edits made...

Sadly, the internet is not an entirely user friendly environment, but as far as it can be this forum is (and I'm sure that goes for other similar forums too)...

Hope thats' reassuring and doesn't come across all Nick Wotsisname ("Don't have nightmares!") :D

L&P

BD :D

It's an unfortunate fact of life on the web that there are people who use automated software to try and join forums and post adverts to them for everything from pharmaceuticals to dodgy web sites.

The extra members are almost certainly not 'people' at all but some sort of software program.

This is why the admins require email confirmation before people become full members, and the admins check out the internet address of every new member manually before approving any memberships. The fact that the members are listed in black means they are not full members and cannot post, send PM's or browse profiles, but as I said earlier I don't think most of them are 'people' at all.

Simon

I set up forums using phpBB and install a package to protect against spambots. Whenever someone tries to join they have to answer a certain easy question. Unless the spambot is programmed to give the right answer to the question it gets rejected. This system is remarkably effective.

Wishingwell,

On the main page, if you click on the little minus sign on the right of the 'Board Statistics' - you'll colapse the whole bit that shows members names....etc....

I trust the admins/mods to protect the site :notworthy: - so if i'm having a wobble about it - i just click it away!

Blissful ignorance! :rolleyes::lol:

:D

Edited by smiley

so if i'm having a wobble about it - i just click it away!

Blissful ignorance! :rolleyes::lol:

If ony I could do that with life :tearful:

I'm going with Badonkadonk's hidding under the blanket idea :tearful: