Sign in to follow this  
iwillholdon

Getting to school on time

This week been having terrible problems getting T to school. We have been in quite a good morning routine and I did a visual timetable of the things he has to do to be ready (dress, eat breakfast, clean teeth etc), and it seemd to be working pretty well. But he's now started all kinds of delaying tactics -- "I've just got to finish this drawing / read this page / finish my game etc". I already try to enforce no tv or screen-based games in the morning as I know that's fatal for him.

Tried to talk to him about school and doesnt seem to be any worse than usual. Maybe the christmas preparations are unsettling him a bit?

I just find if I try to hurry him he gets more upset and then starts repeating his routines. End up late for school but he isnt bothered. I just hate the way he shouts at me and says its all my fault he is upset and late.

He seems to hate leaving anything unfinished when its a case of stopping it to go to school, but doesnt have the same problem when its leaving homework unfinished or half-made lego lying round the house.! Wonder why!?

The school has reacted kindly to me and dont seem to tell him off for being late

Hi

I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you are. My son is in now in P2 and since starting school every morning has been the same. Lately, I do think things are starting to change for the better (hope I'm not speaking too soon!). Basically, we go to school every morning late. R uses endless delaying tactics (he enjoys school/I've seen him there, so just think it's because he wanted to have a leisurely time at home) eg not feeling well, wanting to watch TV/DVD, play his gameboy, etc. Whilst I won't actively encourage him to do this, I won't rush him to the point of harassment resulting in panic and meltdown. I'd rather get him to school late and calm than on time and in a state. Lately, I've been using sandtimers (tickit ones):

http://www.teambuildingshop.com/acatalog/S...CFQxKQgodCmZnLg

I've allowed R a bit of time to eg play his gameboy, but given him reminders using his sandtimers that he has eg 15 mins and worked down to saying 'right time to go now'. Much easier said than done, but I do feel he's at an age where he's perhaps he's more willingy to comply, etc.

Sandtimers have been well used over past few years and they're shatterproof (had them thrown at me a few times!!!).

Caroline.

How old is he? Mine are 7 and 3. Thought the 3 year old isn't diagnosed, he is worse than my older one. I have to get out the house by 8:15 to get J to breakfast club, so I can get DS2 to nursery and get to work for 9! It's tough, as my eldest says he dosn't want to go to school, he hates me etc. The youngest refuses to get dressed until myself and J are in the car and about to drive away - DS2 standing at the door naked, suddenly decides it's time to get dressed!

Sorry, I haven't got any real advice or plans of action. I just take one day at a time and try to muddle through. Neither of mine can dress themself so I just try to dress them as and when I can - and just try to make sure I get them up early enough. If I'm up late, then I just accept we will be late. I also can not rush J as he get's more upset. He also get's upset if I get angry.

What I did find speeded J up, was when I said i was making a movie of him and started recording him for evidence - he performed perfectly then!!! But the novelty wore off after a few days. I've tried star charts, threats of removing he favourite item of interest, such as his PC, but nothing makes a difference.

Sorry - not much help!

Michelle

This week been having terrible problems getting T to school. We have been in quite a good morning routine and I did a visual timetable of the things he has to do to be ready (dress, eat breakfast, clean teeth etc), and it seemd to be working pretty well. But he's now started all kinds of delaying tactics -- "I've just got to finish this drawing / read this page / finish my game etc". I already try to enforce no tv or screen-based games in the morning as I know that's fatal for him.

Tried to talk to him about school and doesnt seem to be any worse than usual. Maybe the christmas preparations are unsettling him a bit?

I just find if I try to hurry him he gets more upset and then starts repeating his routines. End up late for school but he isnt bothered. I just hate the way he shouts at me and says its all my fault he is upset and late.

He seems to hate leaving anything unfinished when its a case of stopping it to go to school, but doesnt have the same problem when its leaving homework unfinished or half-made lego lying round the house.! Wonder why!?

The school has reacted kindly to me and dont seem to tell him off for being late

well im glad im not alone in this............my son is 6 and a half

its always been a prob but seems to have got worse...........-ive told school about it and hospital -no advice really -i have a visual timetable but half the time he wont do it...........he waits till im in his room and prmpting him to get dressed-then this causes the meltdowns...

im trying not to rush too -as it just esclates and he carrys it on in the car to school ect....so im just going take my time from now on-the school are aware so if we are late then so be it.........