Tally

Social Groups

I've been trying to find a social group for adults with AS/autism, or learning difficulties in general.

The NAS befriending scheme is not available here, and they do not have any social groups here either.

I asked my doctor last week, but he says there are none that would have me because they cater only for people with low IQ. I pointed out that my IQ was useless to me and doesn't help me make friends. He agreed, but I guess he cannot do anything about it anyway.

I've trawled through Google and can't find anything on the internet.

I've even called the local newspaper, but they do not know any.

I know for a fact there are groups because The Ex used to know someone who was involved with 2 groups (as staff rather than a member). But she has moved away and I cannot remember the names of either group. It's so frustrating!

Anyone have any ideas where I could try next?

No, there are none in Devon, BUT there was an email address of someone who runs a group for parents with autistic children, so I have emailed her to ask if she knows of any groups for adults.

While I was emailing I found I had a reply from someone I emailed earlier with contact details for a person who runs a social group kind of a bit near here!

We are facing the same problem with JP Tally. No befriending services in our area. There is a social group for AS peeps who meet in the next city about 20 miles away but it clashes with taekwondo.

I dont know what the answer is but understand how frustrating it is & hope you find something.

I have sent emails to all kinds of people, who have all told me they can't help.

I googled the group where my email bounced to try to find a telephone number, and they are an ME support group anyway :wallbash:

I have just received one last one I can try. I don't know where else to look, so hopefully this person will come back with something useful.

I also remember a poster in the waiting room at the hospital about a group. I am going to go and have a look tomorrow and hope it's still there, and that it's OK to go into the waiting room even though I don't have an appointment.

Am still waiting on a reply to my email. I went to the hospital and all the posters have been taken down, but I asked the receptionist and she is going to phone someone for me and ring me later.

So all is not lost yet!

The receptionist rang back yesterday and said she had some information, but it would be better to post it to me, so I gave her my address. It's arrived this morning and there's LOADS of stuff!!!!!

She is just the receptionist, she has gone way beyond what she has to do for her job, so I am so pleased! Do you think it would be OK to send her a card to say thank you? I don't want to scare her, but she has been so helpful.

One group, probably the best one, is still run by The Ex's friend, so I don't really feel I can go to that.

There is a "Voluntary Support Scheme" for people who are "going through a rough patch." It's basically a befriending scheme. It says they can do things like prompt you to make a phone call or book an appointment, but they might be willing to come to work parties or things with me (as a one off, they don't happen that often).

There's a social club, but it sounds more like something for older people. They do activities like walks, dinner-dances or going to the theatre. I think all the people might be a lot older than me. But I will contact them if the others don't work out.

There's an organisation which organises physical activities to encourage people to keep fit. That might be a good way to meet people, but it might not work out with my work hours. Might be a good way to meet people, as we will be doing something which I can talk about, rather than no knowing what to say.

There is a craft and recreation club for people with physical disabilities, sensory impairment or mental health difficulties, about 2 minutes' walk from my house, and I can make one of the weekly sessions easily (and possibly another one as well)!

There are some other thinks which she is not sure would be suitable, but all options I can look into if nothing else works!

Also, The Ex has asked if he can pass my phone number on to someone he knows who has an adult autistic son. Some of this might be useful for him. I don't want to become friends with this man because of his connection to the ex, but if this is helpful to someone else as well, that is a good thing.

That's brilliant Tallly :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe send an email to 'human resources' at the hospital and say how helpful the receptionist was (do you know her name or can you describe her - or at least give a time you saw her so they can check who was working) and say you'd be grateful if your thanks could be passed on.

Let us know how you get on :thumbs:

Ooh all that sounds fab!

I'd defo send a card. We are quick enough to make a complaint when someone does their job badly, so I always, always thank someone who has gone the extra mile. One is on its way to my GP as we speak for trying so hard to help me & thinking outside the box.