CarolJ

Its good to post!

Just to say although I cant really contribute much in this area of the forum its invaluable to me to see the viewpoints from adults with AS. As an NT parent its really important to get an insight into how someone on the spectrum thinks and feels.

Keep posting I am still learning about AS.

I have a partner who has strong AS traits but doesnt have dx. He has said he doesnt feel the need to get dx. My view point is that anything that helps you understand yourself is a good thing. Or is it?

Will try and drag him away from his online games and new computer that hes building to see if I can interest him in this forum.

Take care folks.

Hi Carol,

Some people feel differently about diagnosis. It took me so long to actually get diagnosed that I already had a pretty good understanding of AS and how it affects me anyway. Of course, I am still learning as well. I felt relieved to have it official, but I already did know that I have this trait and that trait, etc. Getting the diagnosis did not tell me anything about myself that I didn't already know, it just confirmed officially that it all adds up to AS, and made me feel more comfortable about telling other people.

Well, it encourages me to see so many of you guys taking on the world on your own terms, we have had few older role models for JP to look up to so I'm always telling him about the great peeps on here. I love it when something good happens & is shared on here for us all to celebrate. It can also be upsetting when something bad happens to someone, because you get to know & care about folk & feel upset on their behalf, but also think how your own AS child would cope so it feels a bit raw sometimes.

For me though, contact with AS adults has been overwhelmingly positive.

Do adults with AS here provide inspiration, or details of the dark side of AS?

Canopus I believe a mixture of both I can see the frustration of adults which I often see reflected in my children when they try to make sense of things. But I think thats not exclusive to those with ASDs. One of the positive things is seeing the suggestions and advice offered and the way in which those with AS respond to those situations. I want to know as much about AS as possible and that includes the negatives or the dark side. I personally found that adopting an attitude of ambvilance towards the needs of my childrens autism was not helpful and was harmful in my experience. Ignoring something doesnt make it go away or make it any easier for an individual to accept and to be expected to live with it can cause someone great emotional and psychological conflict - my views as an NT - for me, part of accepting all aspects of the spectrum means taking the good with the bad and seeing how individuals overcome and deal with things.

One example of this for me is that "the powers that be" tried to tell me that my non-verbal son was not aware or able to experience or express emotions and I knew they were very very wrong, I could see his pain and confusion in his expressions, body language. Luckily my clever son himself proved that he did indeed have very complex emotions and needs - he was able to demonstrate this in person and thereby showed them that being non verbal didnt mean he was dumb.

Had I remained ambivilant, ignored my instincts, and listened to what the "experts" were telling me I would have bought into the idea that my son didnt have awareness and I dread to think what the long term effects of that would have been to him.

I dont know if you go on youtube but I found a video on a young boy with autism and the words to the song are just brilliant (its country and western not my usual thing) but it kinda said it all in relation to any disability not just autism, its speaking of our differences as people. Its called "dont laugh at me" .

Jorden (youtube)

Edited by CarolJ