Sign in to follow this  
shamu

Cupboard door locks?

Sorry to bomb in and ask for advice having not been around for a while but we're rather snowed under at the moment (see my blog for more)

We're having a lot of problems with James at the moment, and his current "obsession" is cupboard doors. While I wouldn't mind if he was just opening and closing the kitchen cupboards, but he's actively trying to hurt himself - shutting his fingers in the doors or squeezing himself between two doors and catching himself between them seeing how hard he can close it. So I'm looking for some sort of cupbard lock that you can recommend? We have a few doors with "normal" child locks but he sticks his fingers down the gap and opens and closes them on them. He can't yet undo the sliding type of lock which I could use I suppose, but I worry that he'll get the hang of them quickly and then lock himself in the bathroom/toilet/undo the lock to the loft room etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shamu

;)

A carpenter might be able to put locks with keys onto the cupboard doors? I don't know how costly that would be though, and you might feel a bit like a jailer walking round with a huge bunch of keys (you'd have to label them carefully!) :)

When we had a problem with DD ripping up books, we put all our books in cupboards with door, and fitted a small hasp to the outside, which we secured with combination padlocks. All the padlocks were set to the same combination, so we didn't have to worry about losing keys or forgetting the combinations. It looked OK ish. When we redecorated that room, we had cupboards built in, with locks incorporated.

Now, having moved to a new house, we have invested in (though not yet fitted!) the magnetic locks, which aren't visible from the outside of the door. They work by holding a magnet to the correct part of the outside of the door. We got ours in ebay, but they are also available from some online babycare shops like Bump2 Baby (not sure if I'm allowed to link to the product), As DD doesn't rip books any more (or not as much) we are able to have the books on open shelves, but could do with being able to lock away the chocolate biscuits!

This may or may not help. We didnt find the normal cupboard door locks any good, but we were fortunate that most of our cupboards in the kitchen have handles which are in pairs. We found we could fasten both handles together with a sort of plastic device for cupboards that resembled an extended padlock. It is a sort of U shaped clip with a clamp on that has to be squeezed to be released. They came in the box of safety gadgets given to us by a health visitor.

We have used this because our house is rented and it doesnt damage the fittings. Ideally, the suggestions for proper locks by a joiner sounds the best, but it depends if you can do this to your cupboards.

Thanks for the suggestions - I should have mentioned that we are living in the kitchen from h*ll and I don't want to spend too much on locks as we're hoping to pull it down in a year or so..... The magnetic locks sound good as do the extended padlock thingies - I'll look into both :D

When we finally redo the kitchen I'll be looking for built in locks - Emum were yours bespoke or from one of the standard high street kitchen people?

Thanks again

Shamu

;)