Sign in to follow this  
kirstie

PIEDROS

Just a query. Does anyone elses child wear piedros from tip-toe walking? My son walks as high up on his tip toes as he can that there is now restriction in his calfs and achilles. The physio says he walks on his metatarsal heads and dorsiflexion is 90 + 10 in one foot and 90 degrees in the left. I also have to do stretching excersises with him twice a day. The piedro boots are doing a great job of keeping his heels down though! His balance is slightly better too! :rolleyes:

I hadn't heard of this before with ASD and wondered if anyone is/has had similar experiences?

Thanks.

Kirstie.

Hi Kirstie

N has had Peidros since she was almost 3 - she didn't walk unaided until she was 3. She doesn't walk on tip-toes, but used to walk on the outsides of her feet. She has hypermobility (I think that's right) in her ankles which causes her feet to turn over like that. The Piedros made an improvement straight away and for the last 3 or so years she has also had special inserts in them to correct her feet even more. Now when she walks bare-footed her feet are flat, although her ankle are not perfect. Her lovely orthopod has said that she probably won't need the inserts anymore - much to her dislike as they use a foam to take casts of her feet and he normally lets her takle a box of it home with her as she loves playing with it!

Thanks for the reply jo4themo,

Aiden has just got his piedros (they're very smart!) and it is helping untill we take them off that is and he's right back up on his tip-toes. I think it's going to take a while for his muscles to stretch.

His ankles also roll inwards (opposite to your daughter i think) so here's hoping they will help!

I hadn't heard of any other children having piedro boots for the tip toe walking before!