Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Cinema for asd

Hi, I think I read somewhere that some cinemas around the country offer an asd showing of some films? They have lights up ,sound lower etc so sensery issues are less affected..If this is true has anyone taken their children or been themselves?If so how was it? ds has lots of sencery issues and I would never attempt cinema but this sounded possible.

Thanks in advance for any replies

I know that the cinema in maidstone (Kent) does some special screenings, but not sure how they work or whether that's a national thing...

Ben and I cracked the cinema by going to the special 'Kids Club' showings... it only cost a couple of quid (don't forget your cinema exhibitors card so the carer doesn't pay!) and the cinema is usually half empty... we'd spend half the showing in the foyer, going in and out every fifteen/twenty minutes, then gradually built up from there to full films and busy screenings.

:D

Yes, they do this in Edinburgh in the Filmhouse. it's great because my son always finds the sound way too high and the gets scared going in when it can be really dark- makes him unsure of his footing!

Hi.One of the major cinema chains does screenings for people with ASD in various parts of the country..I have not used the service but it does sound very user friendly.Karen.

Yes - they do these in Greenwich through the Greenwich branch of the NAS - this link is very outdated now with details of last year's screenings (I couldn't find anything recent), but it does explain a bit of what happens:

Autism Friendly Screenings

Me personally, I like the dark, but I do find the volume too loud and get incredibly irritated (more sort of an uncontrollable stress/anxiety than just annoyed) at anyone who, in my view, breaks the rules, by talking, phone ringing etc. I have been known to, *ahem*, let people know what I think of their bahaviour as my sister sinks lower and lower into her seat :oops:

Generally though, as my tastes are not exactly 'mainstream', :wacko: I find I go to the smaller cinemas where often there are only a handful of other people and they're generally older/quieter. I like films with subtitles, because I can read quickly, but, especially if there is a lot of background music, find it difficult to take in the speech. One of my favourite films is in French even though I don't speak any French ... :rolleyes: