Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

ANYONE ELSE'S CHILD HAVE ENAMEL HYPOPLASIA?

Hi

]

My son's dental hygiene is almost non-existent. He quite simply hates brushing his teeth, despite me having bought a cyberman/transformers (in 2 different colours)/etc. As a result, I try to ensure that my son drinks mainly water, eats apples and I allow him to have chewing gum. He was referred to a SEN dentist who has said that he's going to have to get two molars removed under general anaesthetic because of decay as a result of having enamel hypoplasia. Apparently, the cause isn't really known although it's thought to be an abnormality of sorts. Just wondered if anyone knows a bit more about it - there's no a great deal of information on the internet.

When I heard that, couldn't help feel upset that that's yet another thing to worry about.

Thanks.

Caroline.

Hi

]

My son's dental hygiene is almost non-existent. He quite simply hates brushing his teeth, despite me having bought a cyberman/transformers (in 2 different colours)/etc. As a result, I try to ensure that my son drinks mainly water, eats apples and I allow him to have chewing gum. He was referred to a SEN dentist who has said that he's going to have to get two molars removed under general anaesthetic because of decay as a result of having enamel hypoplasia. Apparently, the cause isn't really known although it's thought to be an abnormality of sorts. Just wondered if anyone knows a bit more about it - there's no a great deal of information on the internet.

When I heard that, couldn't help feel upset that that's yet another thing to worry about.

Thanks.

Caroline.

Im afraid I dont know about dental hypoplasia, but I know all of our little boy's teeth are poor and low on enamel. He is having some restored and some taken out because they are in a poor state. Someone told me it is common with ASD.

My son has no enamel on his teeth and has had to have 5 teeth removed as a result. He is not yet diagnosed but is on his way to being, he is ADHD though. Don't know that much about it either, just be careful and try to get them to brush teeth, that was the advice I was given. Easier said than done though at times. :wallbash:

Hi,

I'm sorry I can't offer you any information on EH but I can let you know that I had it as a child and that aside from having to endure years of #All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth! it had no longterm effect on me. At 41yrs now, my adult teeth are fine. I had great teeth as a child as being diabetic meant I couldn't eat too much sugar.

I would suggest caution on apples - too sweet and they cause decay - to acid and they damage enamel. I used to carry a toothbrush with me or rinse with water (drank it).

All the best

Elaine