Sign in to follow this  
shamu

Carers allowance

I've just started looking into claiming Carer's Allowance as my last day of sick leave was this week and I am now effectively unemployed... I am hoping to get back to some sort of work in the future, but on a much more part time basis than 2 years ago (I was on maternity leave before the sick leave - my employers aren't THAT generous!).

So, looking into the criteria I'm a bit confused by the bit about deductions for expenses - they mention childcare costs but I can't work out whether this is in addition to the other stuff or just a throw away comment? If I do get CA (which I ought to) then I may look at making sure my next job doesn't pay over the threshold, but if childcare costs are taken into consideration that would make a difference.

If I am looking at a short period not working (2 months probably) is it worth claiming CA even if when I do go back to work I'm over the threshold?

Will they take my previous earnings into account even if I'm no longer employed? There are lots of questions about your salary etc which theoretically put me over the threshold but not when I'm not working if that makes sense.....

Also, I've just looked at some info about Council Tax reductions and that has suggested that a full time carer (classed as over 35 hours a week) is discounted from the number of residents in a property. Is this really the case? So my interpretation would be that in our household (me and DH and 2 children) we'd end up on the single person's rate because I "care" for DS over 35 hours? On my council's website there's no mention of it. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Shamu

;)

Will they take my previous earnings into account even if I'm no longer employed? There are lots of questions about your salary etc which theoretically put me over the threshold but not when I'm not working if that makes sense.....

Memory a bit hazy here so not sure if I can help a lot, but I remember when I applied a few years ago I had been out of work for 6 months. I had to submit my last payslip. As you aren't sure about your future situation it might be worth applying anyway. You can always stop claiming if you get work which takes you over the limit.

K x