peevs

Pleased to meet you!

Hi there everyone! I have an 8 yo daughter who thanks to a lot of pushing has been diagnosed with Aspergers.

She has had a statement since nursery, but it was only ever thought that she had language and memory recall issues.

Anyway I was the one who first decided that I thought she had more issues than that and that it was showing as Aspergers. (I think because I work with college age students with a variety of educational needs I was listened to)

Trouble is I know that aspergers presents differently in girls and wondered if anyone could give me some advice and maybe some good material to read up on it!

Her behaviour is becoming more challenging by the day and I would like to try and help sooner rather than later.

I am due to have another meeting at CAMHS to discuss strategies but don't know when!

Thanks for reading!

Hi and welcome. A couple of books I found useful are "The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome" by Tony Attwood and "Asperger's and Girls" by Tony Attwood/Temple Grandin. I've also trawled the net for more info on the ways girls present and found some interesting reading.

Hi peevs (are you a Harry Potter fan at all...?? sorry if not, just the name !)

I don't have experience of young girls with AS, other than the fact I used to be one although unbeknownst to anyone at the time! I can tell you that my mother will tell anyone that will listen that I was a nightmare from birth onwards and indeed my memories of childhood are a blur.

There are quite a few parents here with AS girls so hopefully someone give you some insight from their POV.

Welcome to the forum.

Flora :)