Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

nonverbal learning disorders and Asperger's

In the process of trying to get some educational support for DS1 (dx AS), I've come across Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NVLD).

There are loads of websites explaining NVLD and how it is very like AS yet also different. The two seem to share a lot of similarities, but what I don't understand is, are they mutually exclusive or can they exist together as comorbids?

Anyone come across this?

Lizzie

Yes funnily enough, Lizzie!

This is what we thought L had when she was 12 ish and we read up loads on it and even told the school we thought she had this. Although getting this far was a huge breakthrough for us , we soon learned that the NVLD label was an American thing and virtually unheard of here. I even went on a forum - there was no one from the UK on there. We realised this label wasn't going to open any doors to help. From there we started to think about AS.

It seems to me that NVLD is portrayed as a "milder" version of AS,: the focus seems to be mainly on language deficits. Many people diagnosed with it seem to present with an above average IQ, hyperlexia and to be fairly sociable. This described L on a good day.

To me (and this is perhaps cynical) it seems like the last refuge of parents who would rather see their child as "normal but quirky" rather than AS or autistic. This was us at the time.

Got loads of books on it if you want to borrow any!

K x

Hi,

I've read about it mainly on the OASIS site and couldn't really make head or tale of it. The impression I had was that you had either one or the other, but not both together. Also that the NVLD had some of the impairments but not all 3 of the triad to qualify for an ASD Dx. But i could be wrong.

pim