Sign in to follow this  
Chriscom2

Phonophobia

I'm 22 and have high functioning AS and phonophobia (which seems to be high among people with AS), though have only had the phonophobia for about 5 years. It's mostly with peoples voices, but I also don't like constant banging like people hammering in a nail. I'm not sure how it started, but I gradually built up an intolerance for the tone people some times use in their voice.

It's gotten to the point where my heart feels dead inside. I try to do a little meditation, mindfullness and energy work to compensate, heal myself and some how learn to disolve the pain, but it gets really hard sometimes. I've tried a new strategy last night, but it didn't go to well. I'm guessing it's one of those things you have to keep up with for at least a week, though my motivation for these things has decreased a lot recently. I'm wondering if there's any way of treating this unusual disorder or will I have to suffer for the rest of my life. Is there anyone else here with the problem I have?

Hiya Chris,

There are variouds therapies available for auditory sensitivities as you describe. Whether they work for everyone or not I couldn't say. My youngest son was extremely sensitive to all different sounds when he was little. He had a full auditory assessment when he was 7 and a long course of sound therapy. This involved listening to a tailored cd (he was assessed every 3 months and the cd changed) for 10 minutes a day for about 18 months! It wasn't a quick fix, but it really did work with him. He was one of these kids that walk round with their hands over their ears all the time, but he never ever does that now.

I don't have major problems with this issue, however some voice tones I can't tollerate. For example there is a man who drinks in my local pub with a particular tone to his voice, and it drives me crazy. Even if I'm right at the other end of the pub I can hear his voice and it makes me go all to pieces (it doesn't help that he seems to talk constantly). This rarely happens, but when it does it's awful, so if this is happening to you every day you have my upmost sympathy.

If you want any information on the sound therapy I'm happy to pm it to you.

Flora

Even if I'm right at the other end of the pub I can hear his voice and it makes me go all to pieces (it doesn't help that he seems to talk constantly).

Yeah, that's a really annoying thing with AS. I've been able to pick up sounds from people outside that I could hardly hear. I just notice a distressing reaction in my chest and would correlate that with the voice. It's an acute sense of hearing for things that greatly disturb me.

Plus it doesn't help that they appear to follow you around. I'm not sure if you've experienced this, but I'd go to get away from their voice and they'd end up in the same place as me. The tone also appears to be catching on. More and more people are switching from their old tone to this new and annoying tone. It's like law of attraction done wrong.

If you're negatively inclined then your sensitivity may increase. Not to worry or patronise you, but it started of with me as only a few people. I would hate to know of some one else go through the same thing as me when it could be stopped a lot sooner.

Sound therapy? How come I never came across that? I've spent some time trying to find information on phonophobia and only came across very basic stuff. I'll try and look into this more. If you could PM me some into that would be good. Though it sounds expensive. If you could also tell me about the CD your son listened to that would be good. I don't think I've heard of sound therapy before. It sounds more speciliased and suitable for my condition. Hopefully that will be of some help.