Sign in to follow this  
Cat

National Autism Manifesto

My better half attended the 'APPGA meeting last Tuesday when the National Manifesto 'Half Way There' report was unveiled. The part of the report which really jumped out at me was this.

Autism Manifesto 'Half Way There' Report 76% of teachers do not believe that have had enough training to teach children with autism.

Priorities: Awareness among staff is key to improving services for those with autism and their families. Although there have been some developments, given the low starting point, many of these have simply not gone far enough. 76% of teachers still feel they have insufficient training to teach children with autism4, and 63% of local authorities say that support workers have insufficient autism training in their initial professional training. Some professional groups have not yet been addressed at all.

It should be a mandatory requirement for teachers to have training in autism - I can only agree.

The Autism Manifesto Report makes very interesting reading but the people who SHOULD be reading it probably do not even know that it exists. AIM is asking everyone to send a copy of this report the leader of the council, to the Director of Children's Services and also the Portfolio Holder of Social Care.

The report itself says 'Pressure will need to be maintained to ensure that such training programmes are developed and that take-up is wide ranging.

There is something we can all do and it will only take a few seconds.

Here is a link to the report http://www.nas.org.uk/content/1/c6/01/78/1...%20-%20full.pdf

Here is where you can find your Local Authority http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/localauthorities/index.cfm mail the report to them.

Cat