Sign in to follow this  
peaches

Glasses are driving me crazy

This isnt about Irlen lenses!

Raph has glasses, they spend more time going back and forth to the optician than on his face. He bends them, not deliberately, just by being a kid and being heavy handed. I asked someone on the other "lenses" thread about special bendable frames but they said they were no better. I got a second pair, today they are both no good! grr! The main problem is that the arms get wider and wider apart. But to be fair, they often do get bent in other ways too!

Could someone direct me towards a type of frame (by PM if its advertising) that will stop this happening?

Is it better to get titanium? Can you get something on prescription for children with problems like ours?

I used to work in Opticians, do the sides of his specs have spring loaded joints? I would say never ever have sides that are not sprung loaded. The springs won't stop the problem but they will delay it xxx

I also agree with the above.

Also have a good sturdy frame which is up to being bend and repositioned.

Will pm you with the frames we have

I also agree with the above.

Also have a good sturdy frame which is up to being bend and repositioned.

Will pm you with the frames we have

Thank you. As these were his first glasses I just got the ones that were free with the voucher. They are not spring loaded.

Thank you, especially, Lynne, this is the sort of specific recommendation I could do with.

Thank you. As these were his first glasses I just got the ones that were free with the voucher. They are not spring loaded.

Thank you, especially, Lynne, this is the sort of specific recommendation I could do with.

Also when you go back explain the situation and ask a senior member of staff which pairs they might recommend. Often the people that have been there the longest know which pairs come back for repair all of the time and which pairs are as strong as anything.

If they keep splaying out at the sides, can you notice and ask the school to notice, if he is taking them off and swinging them around? Most kids, ok and adults too, love to twiddle with their spex but that is often what causes them to get wide. Also look at how he puts them on and takes them off. In an ideal world ( ha ha ha :rolleyes: ha ha ha ) we should always use 2 hands etc etc, if he's a bit grabby that might also be pulling them against his head a bit. Maybe a nice child friendly Optician or Dispensing Optician could give him a little pep talk?