peaches

I think little sister is going to be the same ...

Im a bit worried as the youngest has always been a bit loud, and will squeal more often than the average kid, but she has been really screechy lately. There have been other little things, she often resists cuddling and pushes me away (but will allow it sometimes). If you pick her up she often raises her arms so she slips your grip. She is starting to say the odd word though. Some days she seems to have a really screechy day and we thought it was when she was teething/off colour at first, then I started to think it was about wanting attention, now I really dont know.

We have just been on a short break. In the car she is by far the loudest and impatient of the lot. She has been known to scream and scream and then be sick. Her sister, 3 was never as bad, in fact she usually dozed in the car. She is also generally very active, and likes to push and shove her sister, grab toys etc. She is a good sleeper at night though.

I am paranoid I know, but Im starting to see lots of similarities between her and her brother. They are too alike somehow. Obviously Im starting to think she might be on the spectrum, but I know if I ask anyone about her I will get nowhere. I had been trying to tell health visitors and nursery teachers that there was something different about R since he was 2-3 but they didnt really take much notice.

What should I do? I dont think any of the symptoms are clear cut enough really.

I think for the minute all you can do is wait and see, not that it's easy. Maybe keep a diary of anything particularly striking so you can use it at a later stage if you decided to seek assessment.

I had concerns about my ds#2 since he was about 2 but they were all small things that could also be explained by him being 2 (or 3 or 4) and it's only now at just turned 5 and having started school and caused mayhem that he's being assessed, has been diagnosed with PDA and we hear this week whether he has also been diagnosed with ASD too.

He used to be a ###### in the car! My older son would either sleep as a baby or a toddler or sit quietly and watch the view, ds#2 screamed the entire journey (once all the way to blackpool 4 hours away - after that we made sure all our holidays were taken within an hours radius!). From being a newborn he felt the need to protest strongly in the car, I thought he'd learn to like it like ds#1 but he never did (he's ok now at 5!)

We were told unless a child was severely autistic then it was very difficult to make a diagnosis so young and only time would tell.

Peaches,

If I were you I would mention your concerns to your GP. If there is a history of ASD in the family the chances are that another sibling could be affected.

Good luck.

If you are at all concerned then it's worth mentioning it to someone. Waiting lists are often so long that it might be a good idea to get your daughter's name on the list as soon as possible.

My eldest was diagnosed with ASD at 3yrs and I later had concerns about his younger brother. One thing that really helped was to treat my second son as though hedid have ASD. Little things like keeping instructions simple, preparing him for things as much as possible etc. Keeping a short diary of his meltdowns also helped - partly so that I could try to figure out what the triggers might be and partly as a record for when he finally got to see a Paed. He was diagnosed a little after his 2nd birthday.

The only other thing I would say is that my daughter would also fit your description of your little girl. She probably makes more noise than both of her brothers put together and often terrorises the poor lads with her pushing and grabbing. She's 2.5yrs old now and (as far as anyone can tell) is not autistic.

If in any doubt though, I would ask for a referral.

Good luck.