Sign in to follow this  
denny

new to this

hi i am new to this, my 6yr old is at the moment being assesed for aspergers, it seems to take so long,my question is we have a 9yr old daughter and because of how we are handling my son is being treated differently, how do we exlain to her about his problems and that we have to treat him different, until we have a definate diagnois we havent any support or help and are dealing with him as we think is right.

would appreciate any feedback

thanks

Hi denny Welcome to the Forum. :)

There is a book called ''Can I tell you about Asperger's Syndrome '' by Jude Welton that explains Asperger's Syndrome in a way that a 9 year old would probably relate to.It might be worth looking up.Karen.

It is hard to help you other children understand why there are differneces. We tell our younger daughter it is okay that she forgets to handle our eldest with kid gloves and that we understand it is hard for her when her sister screams at her for looking at her or when she tries to be loving and give her a hug. We remind her that her sister doesn't always know that she is responding agressively and that she isn't trying to hurt her feelings (although sometimes sisters are just SISTERS :lol: ) we tried to exlain that her siters brain doesn't work in the same way as hers and that what might be very obvious to her needs explaining to her sister and sometimes it may feel that she gets all the attention but we love them both and are trying to keep a happy calm household. I can only hope that making sure she knows she can talk about how shes feeling and our explanations make her feel better about it all.

Good luck with it all.

Hi denny Welcome to the Forum. :)

There is a book called ''Can I tell you about Asperger's Syndrome '' by Jude Welton that explains Asperger's Syndrome in a way that a 9 year old would probably relate to.It might be worth looking up.Karen.

thanks i will look it up.

Denise

It is hard to help you other children understand why there are differneces. We tell our younger daughter it is okay that she forgets to handle our eldest with kid gloves and that we understand it is hard for her when her sister screams at her for looking at her or when she tries to be loving and give her a hug. We remind her that her sister doesn't always know that she is responding agressively and that she isn't trying to hurt her feelings (although sometimes sisters are just SISTERS :lol: ) we tried to exlain that her siters brain doesn't work in the same way as hers and that what might be very obvious to her needs explaining to her sister and sometimes it may feel that she gets all the attention but we love them both and are trying to keep a happy calm household. I can only hope that making sure she knows she can talk about how shes feeling and our explanations make her feel better about it all.

Good luck with it all.

thank you, it all seems to be very emotional at the moment,but we will try and explain it to her

Denise

thank you, it all seems to be very emotional at the moment,but we will try and explain it to her

Denise

I understand the waves of emotion involved. Trying to get a diagnosis and undersand what is going on is a real energy drainer, let alone then trying to explain it all to others, expecially siblings. BUT the fact that you are on this forum means you will always have someone who will understand.

I understand the waves of emotion involved. Trying to get a diagnosis and undersand what is going on is a real energy drainer, let alone then trying to explain it all to others, expecially siblings. BUT the fact that you are on this forum means you will always have someone who will understand.

itis just good to talk to people who have been and are in the same situation as us it makes a difference.