Sign in to follow this  
vannie

ADI Algorithm

Hi,

On medical report from CCS there is a ADI algorithm score can anyone tell me what these mean in layman terms.

Communication Score = 9 Clinical cutoff 8

Social Interactions Score=17 Clinical cutoff 10

Interests & Behaviour Score=1 Clinical cutoff 3

Thanks.

Hi,

On medical report from CCS there is a ADI algorithm score can anyone tell me what these mean in layman terms.

Communication Score = 9 Clinical cutoff 8

Social Interactions Score=17 Clinical cutoff 10

Interests & Behaviour Score=1 Clinical cutoff 3

Thanks.

The ADI-R interview generates scores in each of the three content areas (i.e., communication and language, social interaction, and restricted, repetitive behaviors). Elevated scores indicate problematic behavior in a particular area. Scores are based on the clinician's judgment following the caregiver's report of the child's behavior and development. For each item, the clinician gives a score ranging from 0 to 3. A score of 0 is given when "behavior of the type specified in the coding is not present"; a score of 1 is given when ?behavior of the type specified is present in an abnormal form, but not sufficiently severe or frequent to meet the criteria for a 2?; a score of 2 indicates "definite abnormal behavior? meeting the criteria specified; and a score of 3 is reserved for "extreme severity" of the specified behavior. (The authors of the measure recode 3 as a 2 in computing the algorithm.) There are also scores of 7 (?definite abnormality in the general area of the coding, but not of the type specified?), 8 (?not applicable?), and 9 (?not known or not asked?) given under certain circumstances, which all are converted to 0 in computing the algorithm.

A classification of autism is given when scores in all three content areas of communication, social interaction, and patterns of behavior meet or exceed the specified cutoffs, and onset of the disorder is evident by 36 months of age. The same algorithm is used for children from mental ages 18 months through adulthood, with three versions containing minor modifications: 1) a life-time version; 2) a version based on current behavior; and 3) a version for use with children under the age of 4 years. The algorithm specifies a minimum score in each area to yield a diagnosis of autism as described in ICD-10 and DSM-IV. The total cutoff score for the communication and language domain is 8 for verbal subjects and 7 for nonverbal subjects. For all subjects, the cutoff for the social interaction domain is 10, and the cutoff for restricted and repetitive behaviors is 3.

The ADI is part of a whole range of other assessments including the ADOS. Technically CCS does not meet the criteria for ASD as the Interests & Behaviour Score=1 (Clinical cutoff 3) is below cut off.

http://portal.wpspublish.com/portal/page?_...;_schema=PORTAL

Thanks for that, I wish they had put some explaination with it instead of just adding it to the report. The school said that they were trying to dx high functioning Aspergers.So as far as the ADI goes he will not be diagnosed, is that right?

Sorry to be naive but I just can't get my head around it

Thanks

Thanks for that, I wish they had put some explaination with it instead of just adding it to the report. The school said that they were trying to dx high functioning Aspergers.So as far as the ADI goes he will not be diagnosed, is that right?

Sorry to be naive but I just can't get my head around it

Thanks

That is right Vannie. On the ADI he would not be diagnosed BUT there ia more involved than just the ADI, not least the clinician's experience in the area of autism. I worry about terms such as "high functioning Aspergers". It is true that the ADI and in particular the ADOS are not as sensitive as they could be and it also depends upon which version / module was used. However there are always grey bounadries between social eccentricity / social phobia and some related speciific language disorders which would need to be considered differentially. Think of it as a aVenn Diagram.

It ain't easy diagnosing!