dekaspace

Can I get benefits?

Currently I am at university but struggling as lethargic all the time and low self esteem, made worse by the fact im 26 and get a lot of weird looks and comments from the 18 year olds at uni as im too old, also due to the fact I suffer from bad depression that runs in the family so I look far older than I am and even on a good day I look my age at best.

It would be easier to either leave uni and get DLA as then I wont have to worry, or to contnue education and get DLA but not sure as 2 of my flatmates get DLA for depression and one has a temper and is really lazy and just drinks it away and is an ex junkie and only speaks to people when he wants something and the other flatmate is his long term friend who says he keeps having to bail him out as he gets flats then doesnt pay the bills and pesters everyone for cash.

That was a bit weird for me to say but as I say they both get it just for depression which I have and more and get a huge amount of money(which isnt the point but taking into account that they get more than me a week and I cant afford much electric and heating this would help me)

Can I claim DLA as a single 26 year old adult?

I am dyslexic, dyspraxic and have depression and waiting for a aspergers assessment.

Or do I have to wait till I'm assessed for aspergers.

you can claim DLA at any time. but it is for care needs, not for having a medical condition. you have to be able to demonstrate that you have greater care needs than a 'normal' person your age. its not easy, and you certainly wouldn't be able to live off of the lower-rate care DLA which is most likely what you would get (around �17 a week).

you do not need a diagnosis, as it is based on the care that you need. DLA is hard to get because it is 'overclaimed' and the forms are not fun as they're designed for physical difficulties, but by all means have a go.

you can claim DLA as a student, so you could start straight away. they backdate your claim from the time you request or submit the form, but the approval can take a while.

of course, you would be entitled to claim Jobseekers as well providing you are able and available to work, which you would be if not in university, as well as possiby housing benefit if you're paying rent and on a low income.

I understand it is difficult to get DLA for a High Functioning Adult (HFA or AS).

I do have DLA, but that is because I have arthritis... I do not believe I would have got it for my HFA, and I haven't tried regarding my depression (nor will I try for that).

As Nobby says, DLA is not enough to live on... however, I believe I am right in saying it is not means tested and it doesn't matter if you are at University or at work... I may be wrong on this. DLA is not an easy ride, and no excuse to leave University and simply not work. I am on benefits, and I wish I was not... I feel like a beggar and am ashamed of it :(