Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

advice needed

Hi I really need some advice, ds has been clean and dry for about two years. he did smear for about six months but I thought it was somthing he had grown out of. Ds is almost 6 and has in the last week started pooing in his pants.... I have not made a big deal of it and have praised him for being clean but tonight he pooed into his hands and presentrted it to me I am so scared that he might be regresssing!! but also dont know how to handle the pooh thing my mum thinks he needs to be punished but I think he is autustic and needs to be encouraged every step of the way advice please

Is it a proper pooh, i.e. solid, or is it looser (not diahorrea) - sorry know its not pleasant!

Its just that my son still has issues now but at 6 it was worse, and he would have soiled pants a lot. He gets really constipated becuase he fears going to toilet and so he holds it in, the pooh gets really hard and blocks the exit, so to speak, then the soft stuff building up behind it eventually squeezes its way around and makes its exit whether the child wants to or not. Its not something they can prevent. That is why I am asking is it solid or looser.....

I dont think punishing will work really, perhaps an exam by the doctor would rule out any physical cause (perhaps he has strained on toilet and its hurt and therefore he now scared to use it??) then you can start looking at other reasons. Is there something else stressing him that he may be reacting to?

Do reward charts or similar work with him as this may be a way to encourage him to use the toilet. The doctor told me to ensure my son sits on toilet for at least 10 minutes after tea each day (a natural time to want to use the toilet so I was told) - more difficult in practice with a 10yr old, or likely any child who is not happy about this aspect of toileting!

the www.eric.org.uk website has some useful information on (its mentioned on another post on this section of the forum if I have not got address quite right).

Take care I hope you find a solution X

p.s. my youngest strips off, at least bottom half including socks but often all his clothes, and then he stands on toilet seat then squats over it and crouches over it happily for about 10 to 20 mins to do a pooh - it looks really strange and rather uncomfortable to me and I wonder how he will cope when he grows, but I have no intention of stopping him as I feel that its great that he is happy to use the toilet and has no stress about the whole poohing thing like my other son!

Edited by westie

Hi I really need some advice, ds has been clean and dry for about two years. he did smear for about six months but I thought it was somthing he had grown out of. Ds is almost 6 and has in the last week started pooing in his pants.... I have not made a big deal of it and have praised him for being clean but tonight he pooed into his hands and presentrted it to me I am so scared that he might be regresssing!! but also dont know how to handle the pooh thing my mum thinks he needs to be punished but I think he is autustic and needs to be encouraged every step of the way advice please

My youngest son had serious probs coming out of nappies to potty/toilet. He used to hold on for days. I tried getting him pants he liked and wouldn't want to soil but it didn't work.

The only thing that seemed to bring a small breakthrough was, when we moved house (he was 6) there were wooden toilet seats which we didn't like. We bought new toilet seats and Aw was actually excited (quietly!) about being the first one to use the new seat. He was better after that. He will only go on the downstairs toilet for some reason unknown.

Good luck