Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

OCD's

My son now has 3, one is a water obsession, turning taps on 40 times a day, the other constant running,leaping, and jumping everywhere and an inability to sit down, and the other is biting and nibbling away at both his hands, lately all 3 have escalated, distraction techniques no longer work, what next ?

My son now has 3, one is a water obsession, turning taps on 40 times a day, the other constant running,leaping, and jumping everywhere and an inability to sit down, and the other is biting and nibbling away at both his hands, lately all 3 have escalated, distraction techniques no longer work, what next ?

Have you sought/received any advice from medical services/others working with/involved with your son's case? My brother, who has severe autism, also has dx'ed OCD which at times can be very severe - I clearly remember the turning taps on and off thing (I think he was given explicit rules about when he could and I defiantly remember a paddling pool in the garden even in winter!) - and he has continued to have problems with biting and scratching his hands and washing and scrubbing them repeatedly so that they are red and bleeding and covered in sores. He has received medication for this which does seem to have controlled some of the impulses, but he is an adult and I don't know how different services are for children.

I'm not sure (maybe others will know more) if an inability to sit still is related to OCD or more to do with anxiety or other issues? Is there any reason why things may have escalated recently (however minor it may seem)?

I don't qualify for an OCD dx myself (I score very highly on the obsessive but not high enough on the compulsive) but do have some issues - especially the hand-washing, having to touch a particular fence when I go out, not being able to leave things out of place, and I know for me how hard it is to control and overcome and it's difficult to explain, but the awful feeling I get if I don't touch the fence post (stupid, I know, because absolutely nothing is going to happen if I don't) can last a long time and, often if I'm particularly stressed, can escalate as I feel I have to do something else to compensate. I know how hard this is for me and I'm not dx-able and I can see how hard it is on my brother so I would urge you to get some help as soon as possible - unfortunately I know that that is easier said than done. :(

I've just started another round of cognitive behavioural therapy with a new psychologist for mine.. Maybe you could look into that? It does seem to be a pretty difficult thing to treat. I've been under the mental health services for almost 5 years now and my obsessions still take 5 hours in the mornings :fight: I don't do the biting of my hands thing, but I do pick little holes into my skin constantly, this all OCD related.

I guess it depends on the severity. I was told to begin with that my OCD was the worst case they'd seen, then when they began to suspect Aspergers as well, they said that the combination of the two may actually be making it worse and almost immune (they tried me on the highest dose of medication I was allowed for it and it still didn't work) so I don't know if that will be the case for your son or not. It'd be interesting to hear from any other Aspies with OCD to see if they've managed to conquer it.

Edited by Thompsons

Have you sought/received any advice from medical services/others working with/involved with your son's case? My brother, who has severe autism, also has dx'ed OCD which at times can be very severe - I clearly remember the turning taps on and off thing (I think he was given explicit rules about when he could and I defiantly remember a paddling pool in the garden even in winter!) - and he has continued to have problems with biting and scratching his hands and washing and scrubbing them repeatedly so that they are red and bleeding and covered in sores. He has received medication for this which does seem to have controlled some of the impulses, but he is an adult and I don't know how different services are for children.

I'm not sure (maybe others will know more) if an inability to sit still is related to OCD or more to do with anxiety or other issues? Is there any reason why things may have escalated recently (however minor it may seem)?

I don't qualify for an OCD dx myself (I score very highly on the obsessive but not high enough on the compulsive) but do have some issues - especially the hand-washing, having to touch a particular fence when I go out, not being able to leave things out of place, and I know for me how hard it is to control and overcome and it's difficult to explain, but the awful feeling I get if I don't touch the fence post (stupid, I know, because absolutely nothing is going to happen if I don't) can last a long time and, often if I'm particularly stressed, can escalate as I feel I have to do something else to compensate. I know how hard this is for me and I'm not dx-able and I can see how hard it is on my brother so I would urge you to get some help as soon as possible - unfortunately I know that that is easier said than done. :(

We may well have to consider medical intervention if this doesn't cease a bit, sometimes we get these highs of activity and then they die down. I can't immediately think of any changes that have happened recently or issues. Quite the reverse we don't make too many changes because that upsets. We had an interesting conversation of sorts today. He said "I don't want to do these things, my mind won't let me stop..." he seems to be now aware he HAS autism, he hasn't really up to now understood he was any different to others, but we noticed an increased desire to get out an about, while we and he knows, that is not possible for him to do alone, he only goes anywhere with an adult. Frustration with his own abilities may be surfacing now he is older ? Up until recent times he always accepted he needed and wanted someone with him at all times, now some resentment seems to be creeping in he has to still have that, he is a teen after all. I'm taking advice on this, it could lead to depression, he may already be depressed ? Given my area has no autistic medical services of any note or support really it's an ongoing problem addressing things. We put so much onus on the school as a result. Our GP is a dead loss.