Sign in to follow this  
katie123

Some hope!.

Hello I am new here!.

I just thought I would post to tell everyone about my little boy who at 3 years old could not talk, had terrible tantrams and still wore nappies we where told he was autistic, I knew very little about this condition and to be honest I think we stuck our head in the sand, the way he acted ruled our world, we also have a older son and I found myself grieving for the fact the younger one could not do the things his older brother could do at that age.

Anyway fast forward 3 years and we now have a chatty little boy who attends mainstream school (with a little support) has many friends and is a joy to have around!. Dont get me wrong his speech is not great but it improves all the time, he does still find it a bit difficult when things dont go quite his way but we find being very strict with him helps loads, he is doing well at school and is keeping up with the rest of the class. He is autistic but he's coping.

If someone had told me he would get to this stage it would have saved us a lot of worry, I know all autistic children are different and we have been very lucky that things have turned out this way but our little boy was given a pretty grim outlook infact his doctor told me we would be lucky if he was independent when he grew up!.

I just want anyone going through what we went through to know that there is hope and some children do improve.

Hi

This post really makes you think of what can be achieved for kids on the spectrum. That with time and love kids on the spectrum can really do well!! You must be very proud!! :notworthy:

Hi Katie, and welcome to the forum.

I'm really pleased to hear about your son's progress. You must have worked very hard with him.

Hi Katie Welcome to the Forum. :)

It is very encouraging to find that for children with ASD even in mainstream things can work out well.

I have Ben age 10 [AS] who is in mainstream school and sometimes feel like one of a small number. :D Karen.