Sign in to follow this  
szxmum

Work, living independently and AS

Just been doing some on-line research, am trying hard to get a realistic, balanced picture.

9% of adults with AS live with a married partner or on their own (Geller and Cavanagh, 2005)

66% of adults with AS live with their parents (Geller and Cavanagh, 2005)

3% of adults with AS live independently (Barnard et al, 2001)

12% of adults with AS are in full-time employment (NAS)

Is this correct? Any thoughts / opinions? (Nice ones please, feeling very fragile)

szxmum

Edited by szxmum

I am an adult with AS. I moved out of home when I was 20. I don't feel I would have coped moving out earlier than that, and to start with I just rented a room so didn't have to worry about running a household. Six months later I moved in with my boyfriend, and we lived together for 5 years. He has severe mental health problems and possibly ADHD as well, and in addition to doing everything by myself, I was also trying to support him. Since we split up I have been living independently a long way from my parents, though I often get advice from them. I am now moving back to live with them, but out of choice, and partly because I feel the area where I live offers few social opportunities for me.

I have worked full or nearly full time ever since I was 19. I have recently struggled with full time work due to a medical condition not associated with AS. At one point I was working seven days a week in two different jobs, and helping my mum out round the house (more than usual) while she recovered from a back injury.

I think that many people with AS who struggle to get work, struggle because of mental health conditions - though those conditions may stem from AS, they are not directly caused by it. Difficulty in getting work may mean many adults with AS remain living with their parents for financial reasons, rather than an inability to cope. Many adults with no disability are now having to live at home into their 30s for financial reasons.