Sign in to follow this  
skye

Medicine is rubbish- help

Well my DD was in hospital for a few hours yesterday. She has had a very high fever and been vomiting. She had not kept anything down for a day and was very dehydrated. She also had a severe headache and aversion to light. We were sent down to the hospital so that they could assess her. In the doctor's surgery the doctor had to give Lib a suppository because she will not take medicine orally, she did not really know what was going to happen although I explained it to her, so she was able to get it in. It brought her temp down and she was ok for a couple of hours until her temp started to creep back up while we were in hospital. The nurses tried to give her some more calpol, which she completely refused to take. She was screaming and shouting medicine is rubbish. Go home go home! No medicine, etc. The nurse had to go and get a suppository to try and do it that way. I explained to Lib that she would have to take the medicine by mouth or that they would have to put it in her bum again. She would not choose and just laid there shouting about medicine being rubbish. The nurse came back with a second nurse to try to get it done. I held Lib's arms and one nurse held her legs, the other nurse attempted to put in the suppository to no avail. Lib made her body rigid and there was absolutely no way this thing was going in there at all. The nurses finally gave up and we were sent home to try to give her some medicine at home. The only thing that I have ever found that works is disprol a dissolvable paracetemol tab that goes in her juice. We gave her some when we got home but the juice made her vomit again and her temp went right back up. She is doing ok today but has still had no medicine.

I have tried: Bribes, threats of banning tv or toys, putting it in yogurts or puddings or ice cream, talking in depth to her about it, social stories about medicine, and a few other things. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get her to take medicine? Has anyone had this same problem? I am at a loss of what to do. It is really scary when your child is so sick and won't let you help them with something as simple as giving some calpol! Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Skye

Hi Skye

Sorry to hear about your daughter being so sick. Glad to hear she is a little better.

I’m afraid I haven’t really got any helpful advice but I do sympathise with you. My daughter was exactly the same when she was little. Like you we tried everything but there was absolutely no way she would take medicine in any shape or form, and it was a nightmare, but luckily she didn’t get ill very often.

When she was about 14 she needed a tablet (can’t remember what for). It took us about 4 hours but eventually she took it with a drink and now has no problems with medication (still wouldn’t have medicine though).

I’m not sure how old your daughter is, but would it be possible to give it to her in tablet form so she wouldn’t have to taste it?

Good luck.

x

Thanks for the replies. Luckily she is all better now! YAY! I think I am going to try writing a better social story and see how we get on. Hopefully there will be no need for any medicine any time soon. Have a great weekend. Skye

Glad she's feeling better now!

Maybe sprinkling it in yoghurt or some food with a strong flavour might work next time.

You could always practise with a vitamin tablet if you feel brave enough!

Hi Tally

If Skye's daughter is anything like mine, she will be on to it, as she has such a strong sense of taste!