i'm pretty sure Mumble has posted something similar recently, but i can't find it anywhere so here goes.

i have to go in for intestinal surgery fairly soon and i'm starting to worry about the practicalities of it. the operation itself i'm not bothered about, but having to stay in hospital is going to be a problem. so i wonder if anyone can answer some questions

- will they allow me to have a single room? i couldn't cope with being in a ward with all those ill people smelling and making noises and generally being scary.

- will they explain things to me in a way i can understand? i know doctors are busy, but i have a lot of trouble with medical professionals saying wildly general or bizarre statements that i misunderstand.

- will they be willing to be flexible in their approach given my ASD. for example, while i have no problems with needles and injections, i cannot stand the idea of a cannula in my hand. anywhere else would be fine, but i have a thing about hands and absolutely wouldn't want one there (too many bones and too much movement)

- any advice on how to politely convince my mother she doesn't need to stay with me! it would drive me nuts. she's worried i wont be able to communicate my needs, i'm more worried about her saying things i dont agree with because i can't say no, her talking to the doctors behind my back and not telling me what they say right (her interpretation of conversation baffles me), her generally bugging me when i'm already be stressed.

- i would imagine i will have to eat and so on before they will let me go home given the location of the surgery, but my experiences with hospital food are not positive (i've never been able to pick a meal off a hospital menu i'd be willing to eat when visiting people). will they let me eat something from home, or pre-packed from a store (sandwich) instead?

i know every hospital is different, but i would imagine there are standard policies, so if anyone has any experience, i'd apreciate the advice

Hi, most of the questions I cannot help with but as far as your mum goes I think you should try to have a manly talk with her basically saying that although you're nervous you have learn to deal with things in your own way and that of course you understand that she's just trying to protect you--it won't stop her worrying though it's very difficult to be a mum and put your faith in all the things you've instilled in your child over the years even if they don't have ASD.

With the doctors, take my approach, ask questions, if any of them say things you don't understand keep asking until you do, doctors are there to provide you with a service and just like you wouldn't go into a shop and hand your wallet over because you don't know how much something costs you shouldn't be expected to 'hand over your body' without knowing exactly what they will be doing--most doctors will explain things to you properly but like I said, if you don't understand, or you're worried about something they've said ask them to clarify--don't be afraid of them, they're only people.

Food, you can eat sandwiches, fruit ect... that've been brought in for you but you'll need to let the doctors know you are eating.

I wish you the very best of luck, sorry I couldn't be more help but above all remember you are in control of what happens to your body so ask ask ask

Hi I thought I would answer you post as I am a nurse by profession and have experience with my step son who has AS.

Usually before you go in for surgery you would attend the hospital for a pre operative session with the nurse to check your blood pressure maybe take some blood for tests and maybe some other tests. They tend to do this a week or so before you are due to go in.

I wouldn't see there being many problems to what you feel you need being accommadated although much depends upon the hospital and the ward you will be on.

I would think that it may be a good idea to see if you can have a chat with your gp or your consultant to see if they can be of any help. Some hospitals have very good leaflets explaining what you can expect both before and after your surgery.

I don't know how old you are but if you are over 16 you will have to sign a consent form, you should be made fully aware of what they are planning to do during the procedure as well as any possible complications that can occur before you sign. By signing the form you are giving 'informed consent' meaning you are fully aware of the procedure you will undergo.

Ask the staff what you should expect when you come back from theatre, the more you know about what to expect the less stressful the experience should be.

Having a cannula placed somewhere other than your hand I wouldn't expect would be too much of a problem, maybe you should put all of your concerns down on paper so you don't forget to ask about them.

I have to say that unfortunately, in my experience, not many NHS staff will have much, if any awareness of your problems so maybe it would be advantageous for you and a big help for them if you took some literature in for the staff to look at.

I hope all goes well for you.

Good luck :)

I think that you have expressed yourself very clearly here so what about writing everything down that you have posted here including anything else that you might need either to ask or for the staff to be aware of and take it with you when you go to the hospital. You can ask for it to be added to your notes so that everyone can see what you have written. My son (who has AS) finds it much easier to write down his needs and concerns than expressing them verbally. He even write notes to me. You could even write what is known as a passport which is something that they now often use in schools. It gives information about who you are and important things about you.

If I have a hospital appointment myself I always write down things I want to say and have often just handed the list over to the Consultant. It works really well because you do not forget anything and you get the answers to your questions that you need.

Cat