Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Telling a child they have AS

DS (dx AS, 7yo) is very high functioning in reading / arithmetic etc. He has major anxiety and resultant behavioural issues and is not currently in school.

So far we have not informed him of his diagnosis but we wonder if it would help him if he understood more about his difficulties.

What advice / experience can anyone offer about telling a child about their diagnosis?

Thanks

Gavin

In my opinion you need to tell him. You obviously need to choose the right words but he has a right to know. Someone posted a similar question a while ago and I asked my son what he thought and he said to definitely tell the person. I used a publication from the NAS for children and a book called 'i am utterly unique' and we talked a lot about the good and the bad points of having Asperger. I am always open for questions he may have and I am honest, always. He likes that about me. He was so unconfortable with himself that having a name to put on this discomfort and an explanation for the differences was a relief. This was the beginning of a new phase where we have to accept him for who he is and he has to accept himself too. That is not easy. He receives counselling and the fact that he knows and that we can be open with him is I think really important.

From personal experience, I would make him aware as soon as possible. My dh was only dxed last year (aged 15) and will not accept her dx and therefore we have not been able - openly - to get her help. She rejects any help, psychiatrist visits, appointments with camhs and is a virtual recluse. I feel that if this had been dxed when she was younger, she may have been more receptive to help and perhaps been able to deal with the anxiety she now has a little better rather than stay at home and hide in her safe haven.