Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Danger!

Hi, ds has (about half an hour ago) thrown himself off the landing over the banister ,quite a drop and landed on his head!!!!he is luckily ok other than a large bruise to his head..... he was very upset but not due to being hurt through his tears he explained he had failed to land on his feet.....How do I explain the danger? I have to supervise him all the time, but he had just gone to the toilet and I had no idea he might launch himself off the landing..... I really am worried about his safety and his understanding of danger, Although I have as many safety precauctions in place as poss(bars on windows, extra locks on doors)I was shocked that he took it upon himself to leap over the bannister! He does not connect the pain with the action and I have had to prevent 3 more dive atempts since!

Any advice on how to explain danger?

Could he have seen something on TV or in a film? Try asking him "did you see someone jump from the bannister on TV". He might have seen a cartoon character, or a cat etc jump and land on their feet. And have short conversations like "if you do xxx, what do you think will happen?" This helps them to predict outcomes and also starts to give you a good idea of what they do and don't recognise as danger.

If he has sensory issues he may also not realise the danger in things he is doing. Does he tend to seek movement, climbing high and jumping, liking to be squashed.

Hi Bluefish

I just had to reply to your post as my DD has done the same thing, she also likes to roll down the stairs, run in roads, lie in roads and on and on it goes. I just have to watch her like a hawk and re enforce what is dangerous ALL THE TIME. I have found that the more stressed she is the more she does it. Just a couple of days ago she was trying to put her hand out as moving cars were approaching. She is particularly stressed at the mo as it's the beginning of the new school year and she has a new teacher so Im having to watch her constantly. Good luck and sorry cant be of help but just wanted to let you know I know how u feel >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>