echelon

CAMHS are not going to test my son for ASD, what do I do?

It all comes down to the F word! Funding! My boy had an appointment at cahms and well it was rubbish. He spent 5 mins at the very beginning with the clinical psychologist who was more aspie and ocd than my boy! he then sent my son to a nurse to colour in pictures????? And I was left to answer questions he had on his sheet and to be honest a lot of the questions couldn't warrant a straight yes or no answer so he was useless. After meeting for the outcome I was told he didn't have Aspergers or anything along the lines. I was dumbfounded. I told them that my son deserves a chance and all the help he could get and they were selling him short just because of money. I had backing of Autism outreach, speech and language, ed psych, community paediatrician all supporting me and my son. I asked for a second opinion out of the county. I was given another appointment with the same man who did the first one!! I declined and said nope I want a proper consultant ie someone who knew what they were talking about.

I had to wait for funding from the pct which was a right pain as they tried to keep losing his referral in the end we got an appointment with Anne Le Coutier up in Newcastle and what a difference that made. They sent several people down to see him at his school and at home before the main appointment. We went up and spent all day being assessed very rigourously by several other bods and then the indepth report came a month later saying he did have it so I am very glad I fought for it. I know we have been very lucky.

Keep fighting and good luck.

I guess I have been lucky with the CAMHS then as they have suggested Glen have a mental health assessment due to concerns that he has mental health issues. It does cost a lot of money to be sent to a mental health hospital but they said that they will obtain the funds needed, as this assessment is in Glen's best needs.