Sign in to follow this  
baddad

bummoles!

Was hoping to sneak out and see the new Ian Dury biopic this week, but wot wiv orl this snow 'n' Ben being at home it looks like i'm gonna have to give it a miss. I could probably sneak him in as fifteen but i'm not sure that's a good precedent for a dad to be setting!

ho hum...

:D

I am definately going to see it next week, even if i get stranded in the cinema :lol:

My DD has just turned 15, but she is a slight little thing (unlike mum :whistle: ), so we are thinking of getting one of those Citizencard thingys, so she can get into 15s without hassle. I have to admit to taking her to the odd 15 before she actually was so cant advise on the "setting a good example" area of life!

I'll think on it...

Does his cinema card have his DOB on? :lol:

I'm not sure he'd enjoy it, though - would love the music but hates swearing (oooh if we do go i'll have to remember to cover his ears for the begining of 'Plaistow Patricia!) and Ian could be a bit of a 'potty mouth' :o:lol:

Like you, though, I YAM gonna go and see this one in the cinema come hell or high water... can't remember the last time I went to the flicks to see a film I wanted to see and I.D. has been a reason for being cheerful in my life since I was a spotty little 'erb with my whole life ahead of me...

ho hum... sigh...

Have you seen it yet????? :bounce:

Saw it yesterday and it is BRILLIANT!!!! :clap::clap: Loved every minute of it, i think it's the best biopic i've ever seen. It's loud, colourful, hectic, chaotic...... as befits the man! Some pretty full-on language, as you guessed, and the gig scenes are just awesome; there are also some heartrending scenes of young Ians life, and of Baxters life. :tearful: I would imagine it to be a pretty powerful film for a dad of a son to watch, iyswim. And Ray Winstone is Dury snr..... :notworthy: And as for Andy Serkis..... just stunning.

Definately recommended.

Can you tell i liked it??!! :lol::lol:

(Oh and there is an Ian Dury special, presented by Andy Serkis, on Radio 6 tonight at 10pm).

Have you seen it yet????? :bounce:

SHUT. UP. :angry:

None of my local cinemas are showing it!!! :crying:

It is on at the local 'arts' cinema in April but without a drive down to Brighton or up into the hell that is inside the M25 I'm stymied :(

Will probably wait until April as a long journey to watch a film in a strange cinema on my own and stone cold sober isn't very appealing.

If I could get my hands on the distributor.... :angry: There aint half been some - ennit?

Glad you enjoyed it, though... Ray Winstone is his dad? He was on Jonathon Ross last night in a 'three piece whistle', but he never mentioned it!

I'm sure the music was spot on... the Blockheads were/are one hell of a band ('n' the Music students weren't bad when 'musical differences' (i.e. Ian being an A*****e) got in the way of them all working together).

Blimey - I think i will be finding a quiet couple of hours to watch one of the live vids this weekend. I need my fix. Reason's to be cheerful.......

L&P

BD :D

SHUT. UP. :angry:

None of my local cinemas are showing it!!! :crying:

:oops: SOOORRREEEE......

(But i couldn't help..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: )

It will be worth the wait!

Cuz it is BRILLIANT :devil:

:oops: SOOORRREEEE......

(But i couldn't help..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: )

It will be worth the wait!

Cuz it is BRILLIANT :devil:

Hah! I suppose you larf when people walk into lamposts too :shame:

I read an article on line somewhere, and they reckon this'll be the making of Andy Serkis. Not heard a single bad review. That makes the fact that it's not on at my local even more annoying, but as you say i'll enjoy it all the more for the......

anticipation.

Mossgrove - thanks for the link. How stoopid that they don't make it available as an MP3 for download. I'll have to wait for when I've got an hour in front of the PC available for just listening!

No ,really, i did feel for you! :(

But i was so excited i had seen such a good film, and was looking forward to comparing notes. My own misplaced enthusiasm made me laugh as much as your misfortune.............. honest! :whistle:

(I dont particularly laugh at people walking into lamposts btw, its pianos dropping out of the sky onto peoples heads that makes me hoot :lol:)

I do find the programming of arts type cinemas rather strange sometimes (ie making people wait til April), especially in these days of almost instant dvd releases. Although i would recommend at least one viewing on the big screen, rather than home tv - for the music if nothing else.

I will shut. up. now........ :D

I met Norman Watt-Roy (the Blockhead's bassist) and his brother Garth about 6 months ago at a funeral. My dad knew him growing up as his aunt was married to my nan's cousin (who had died) and they both looked after Norman and Garth as I believe their parents died at a young age. Half of our family is from India and they all moved over to London from Bombay and in the early days they all used to be very close.

Was good to finally meet him as my dad told me a lot about him. A little surreal also as he was talking about loads of people he played with - LOTS of famous names that pretty much everyone would recognise.

Yep - Norm's one hell of a bass player. Some of the chases he does on stuff like 'I wanna be straight' make you do this :blink: I think it's the long skinny fingers! :lol:

L&P

Yeah I saw a clip of him playing some club on TV a while back, whilst Dury was still alive I think, and he's just amazing. Not sure if this true or an exaggeration but my dad told me he (Norman) was once voted "Best Bassist in the World" by Rolling Stone magazine.

Yeah I saw a clip of him playing some club on TV a while back, whilst Dury was still alive I think, and he's just amazing. Not sure if this true or an exaggeration but my dad told me he (Norman) was once voted "Best Bassist in the World" by Rolling Stone magazine.

Not sure - but I've heard something similar...

I do remember watching an interview or something that included a bit about him getting a standing ovation from masses of very famous musicians after a particularly fine solo, but not the wheres or whyfores.

The only person I've ever heard to touch him was an American session musician (now dead, sadly) called Jaco Pastorius.

Hugely, hugely underrated band, The Blockheads - but never the same songwriting strengths without Ian, and poor ol' Ian could never match their musicianship after he P'd them all off!

Pity :(

L&P

Finally got to see this at my local 'arts' theatre tonight... BRILLIANT!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Andy Serkis did indeed 'nail it'... occassionaly a bit too 'panto' but then Ian was very himself, and it's hard to panto, panto, iykwim...

I snukked Ben in as 'fifteen' :o He said he enjoyed the music, but I think the films style and complexity was a bit beyond him outside of that. he started squirming after about 30-40 minutes and moaning about how uncomfortable his seat was. After moaning at him for fifteen minutes or so that everyone's seat was the same I swapped with him and found that his seat was indeed broken! :lol:

I got a very numb bum from tryiong to keep on the seat which was angled downwards (a'la McDonald's restaurants circa 1980) but it was worth it... Definitely one to buy on DVD...

We have 'premier' seats booked later in the week for a 3d film at local odeon so that's two films in one week :) it's that one about two blokes arguing over who should pay for the next round - 'Clash of the Tight 'Un's'... :whistle:

L&P

Oh two other nice things have happened this weekend too... I had a bag of watercress that was a bit past its sell buy to use up so made some watercress soup... delicious! Recipe defintiely a keeper... And I found a really, really old avant garde/prog album I hadn't heard for years available as an MP3 download for 76 pee per track... as it was a 'side one/side two' concept album this came out at just a quid and a half, whereas on CD it's a collectable going for around fifty quid! :lol:

li'l stuff in the grand scheme, but nice none the less...