BusyLizzie100

is it too late to sort out handwriting?

Hi, DS1 is now 12, in Year 7 in mainstream secondary and his writing is still illegible, he can't even read it himself. This week he couldn't read what he'd written in his planner so couldn't do the homework (and no - it wasn't a ploy to get out of doing homework, it was genuine!).

Over the years he's had OT, handwriting programmes (eg teodoro thingy-bob, Speed Up) but these have made no difference. At primary it wasn't considered a problem altho it's been on his IEPs for years. But now he's at secondary teachers find they cannot read his work and therefore cannot mark it -they are saying this will have big consequences for tests/exams as if they can't be marked, he'll get low grades.

His reading, by the way, is great - he is a real bookworm.

Has anyone got any ideas?!!

Lizzie x

Hi Lizzie,

This may be completely irrelevent, but I thought I would mention it. I have Aspergers, and I was born left handed. When I was seven or so, I must have subconsciously noticed everyone in my class was using the other hand to write with, and so I switched, without really thinking about it. My handwriting was completely ruined. I am 32 now, and to be honest I am the only one that can decipher my scrawl and even now I prefer to type. I was talking to a consultant some years ago, and she said that it wasn't unheard of for kids with autistic spectrum disorders to do this. I wonder if that might be the case here?

Zen

Edited by zenemu