Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

Which property shall I rent?

Ok I am wanting to move back to my home town but its almost impossible to find a bedsit and its mainly all flat shares or flats about £360-£400 a month not including bills.

I have eventually found 3 possible properties, 1 doesnt interest me much but may be the easiest place to rent, it is in the part of town which is old fashioned and locals arent very nice to non locals(my ex used to live around corner) it overlooks the river and a small museum in a tiny victorian house, rent is £370. Its about 5-10 minutes walk from main town centre

Property 2 is directly in town centre, a 1 bedroom flat and across road from the best take away and baguette shop and across road from main bus stop which I can get to my parents and the best club in town. So in effect I am paying a premium for the area of town. £380 a month. 3-5 minutes walk from main town centre.

Property 3 is an actual HOUSE! with the same landlord as property 2 and around the corner from the home where I grew up from when I was 2-6 years old and made lasting friends and also around the corner from the main museum in town where I can go when bored, also dont know if a good or bad point is it has a VERY steep hill up so great for exercise. £380 per month. 15-20 minutes walk from main town centre.

I am thinking more of property 3 but havent seen any yet so may change mind or LL may not like me or accept students.

The house sounds the most tempting but it would make me feel "old" but the flat would be nice but worried about loud tenants or it may be small or I may get bored etc.

Plus the house depending on size may be expensive to heat and maintain but I am not sure council tax bands either, I know I am a student now but after I graduate not sure if flat will be more expensive being in the main part of town or the house being a house and all.

Edited by dekaspace

Wow, I wish I could get something for those prices in London! :lol: I would love to live on my own (although I know that at the moment I couldn't without a carer for non-ASD issues :tearful:).

I think you get the best 'feel' of a place when you go to visit. Try to visit at different times, even if only to the outside as you will hear then if for instance the neighbours like to play 'music' (I reserve judgement about what actually constitutes 'music' :lol:) at odd hours or if they're very 'kind' and play it loud enough as to 'share' it with you whether you ask them to or not... :wallbash: Try and speak to the current tenants and find out why they're leaving...

If it were me and everything else being equal I would go for the flat as they 'tend' to be in a better state of repair and the heating bills are a lot less (heat comes down from above and up from below). What floor is it on - it's also worth checking out insurance costs which may be less in a flat not on the ground floor. I can't see a problem with a flat being small as one person - you can only occupy one room at a time!!! But then, I live in my little box (and pay more than any of your properties... :huh:), so anything more than that just sounds like luxury.

Wow, I wish I could get something for those prices in London! :lol: I would love to live on my own (although I know that at the moment I couldn't without a carer for non-ASD issues :tearful:).

I think you get the best 'feel' of a place when you go to visit. Try to visit at different times, even if only to the outside as you will hear then if for instance the neighbours like to play 'music' (I reserve judgement about what actually constitutes 'music' :lol:) at odd hours or if they're very 'kind' and play it loud enough as to 'share' it with you whether you ask them to or not... :wallbash: Try and speak to the current tenants and find out why they're leaving...

If it were me and everything else being equal I would go for the flat as they 'tend' to be in a better state of repair and the heating bills are a lot less (heat comes down from above and up from below). What floor is it on - it's also worth checking out insurance costs which may be less in a flat not on the ground floor. I can't see a problem with a flat being small as one person - you can only occupy one room at a time!!! But then, I live in my little box (and pay more than any of your properties... :huh:), so anything more than that just sounds like luxury.

This is actually quite expensive for a flat, and I assume the house is a house and not just a room since the ad just said "1 bedroom flat and house for rent" it could mean that the house has more rooms or is just 1 bedroom I dont know.

I think both flats are 1st floor i.e above ground.

I am actually the sort of person who likes some noise hence my reservations about the house i.e my favourite 2 places I stayed in where the house share at 17 so I chatted to guys in kitchen or living room, or when I was 21 above a bar and the housemates were all over 45 and alcoholics but friendly and the house was quite tatty!, the worst ones have actually been brand new halls I was in, the 2 newly refurbished student rooms, and the newly refurbished house! says something!

I have only had 3 flats in my life, 2 of them were 1 bedroom, first was amazing as the kitchen was the biggest room in house and had its own table and chairs and overlooked communal garden with washing line, the bedroom was tiny but that was all I needed. the 2nd flat was 2 bedroom and with a ok sized living room, a kitchen so small that the second you were inside you hit your head and you could just put your arms to side and touch walls and feet out to touch far wall and was attic flat so really sickly, 3rd was bascially a glorified bedsit, no living room just a tiny kitchen with a chair in and a tv point and a small bedroom and a bathroom nice if I just owned clothes and a small tv but not if you own a lot like me.