vannie

term assurance

Hi just wondered how aspergers was viewed by insurance companies.

We are just looking to renew our mortgage cover and our current policy cover has child benefit cover.

It states that if one of our dependents becomes disabled (diagnosed) then we are entitled to the premium. I know these insurance companies have different clauses, but just wondered if anyone knew anything about this before I start making enquiries.

Thanks for any advice.

If you already know about the Asperger's before you took out the insurance, they are not going to pay out. A diagnosis of Asperger's doesn't necessarily mean your child is considered disabled. There is no generally accepted legal definition of "disabled," so you would have to look at your particular premium and see how they define it.

Asperger's is neither an illness nor critical (which I have been led to believe - although this may be wrong - means life-threatening).

Critical illness covers things like cancer, heart attacks, strokes etc. My friends little boy had lukemia and theirs paid out. He recovered but obviously they had a really tough 3-4 years. As far as I'm aware things like ASD are not applicable for this kind of cover.