Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

calling DLA experts

ive read in various places that we can't claim for K because we are already recieving payment to provide care for her (foster care). now i'm reading in lots of other places that we CAN claim for her, for example -

You don’t have to be the parent of the child in order to make an application – foster carers can make the claim for example.

anyone know the rules on this? we provide a .tremendous amount of care for K, not only above a normal child, but well above a 'normal' foster child (who are far from normal anyway!). she is harder to care for than 3 children we had previously, all feral and 1 with ASD all put together. all social workers have acknowledged this so its not just us being dramatic. i've never understood why we couldn't claim because the whole point of DLA is its above normal care.. but i suppose since all foster kids are classed as needing more care it would be hard to draw the lines.

we dont 'need' the money but could enrol K on a couple more clubs or start horseriding lessons etc which would really help her

Hi there,

Found this in Herts CC website:

Disability living allowance (DLA)

DLA is a benefit paid to children and adults under 65 who have care or mobility needs as a result of disability or ill-health.

A child in foster care can still get DLA. It is usually paid to an adult that the child lives with if the child is under 16.

If you foster a child who is getting DLA, contact the disability benefit unit that pays the benefit to make sure they know the child is living with you. They also need to know if you wish to act as the child’s appointee. You will need to discuss this with the local authority or fostering agency.

If you think your foster child could get DLA, phone the Benefits Enquiry Line (see end section for contact details) for a claim form for a person aged under 16.

DLA is paid on top of any benefits, tax credits or other income you may have. It may increase the amounts of some means-tested benefits such as child tax credit, housing benefit and council tax benefit (but not if it is paid for a foster child) and make you eligible for carers allowance (see below).

And this on Cambridgeshire CC:

The law says that DLA payable for children is affected by time spent in hospital, or in ‘special accommodation’. This includes residential schools, children’s homes and residential care or nursing homes. Benefit can be affected when a local authority (including a Social Services Department or Education Department) pays some or all of the cost. Time spent with foster carers in their own homes does not affect entitlement to DLA. If the foster care is going to be long term, normally the benefit will be paid to the foster carers.

So I guess if you are the main carers then you should be able to claim.

HTH

Carol

Hi

I have a friend who is a special needs foster carer. My understanding is that she receives a higher 'rate' than foster carers in view of the greater level of care. My understanding is that she doesn't receive DLA.

Caroline.