Sign in to follow this  
peaches

My husbands temper

I am seriously concerned about my husband losing his temper. We have 4 young children to care for, they are our grandchildren, and our grandson has ASD, ADHD amongst other things. Yes he is infuriating, and sometimes I lose my temper too, but not quite so often and with such force as my husband. I rely on him a lot for support as I have fibromyalgia and a bad back and so need a lot of help with the children. When he is home at evenings and weekends, he seems to continually shout at our grandson and has no patience. He was supposed to take him to swimming lessons yesterday but lost his temper at Rs delaying tactics (the very same ones I put up with every morning when he goes to school) and he refused to take him swimming so I took him. He wont discuss it, when I mention it he just says something like "As if you dont lose yours!" I have the kids a lot more than him and lose my temper a lot less than he does. What can I do?

This is really difficult but I learned to be patient with my son long before DH did. I find it common amongst my friends too that the primary care giver can and does adapt a lot quicker to an ASD life as they are knee-deep in it every day. DH would come home (tired) to a bombsite and I'd be wanting him to relieve me for half an hour whereas all he wanted to do was have me listen to him about his day. We worked through it, mostly by me giving way TBH. I also use a lot of after school clubs for the other three children so that they go off and do something fun and I'm not exhausted keeping them entertained too, and although we're scheduled to the hilt the rest of the week Sunday is a family day at home. If DH needs to work he does so after the day is over for the kids. Took us a while to get the balance right.

Just another thought - has he been checked by his doctor? My brother was apparently a nightmare until he had his Type 1 diabetes under control. It was his temper that 'went' first.

Thanks for both of these replies, I had previously only seen the first one. I had forgotten about this post, but it has been useful for me as at the moment I am taking stock of what has happened over the past few months.