Sign in to follow this  
Martin Howe

Obtaining CBT via the NHS

Given my expression of Asperger's Syndrome, several sources have commented that cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is likely to be the best route to coping with integrating in the NT world; this is essential to my job hunting and I know some people here have found CBT useful in other ways.

However, CBT costs a fortune to obtain privately and in my experience some medical professionals can be obstructive in putting a patient forward for treatments that cost any money.

Has anybody persuaded an NHS GP to get CBT for them and how did you do so?

DP was sent for CBT and was assessed a few weeks back as no longer needing it due to the fact it took 8 months to get to the councelling it was just a case of going back n forth from the GP with a number of thoughts and ideas about his anxieties at the start, once AS was mentioned the CBT route was begun by the GP (although DP believed it was an AS assessment which he has since decided to stop progressing for a number of reasons)

Edited by baranigirl

I have CBT, but I can't comment on how to get the GP to provide it; my GP was trying to convince me to try it! I've been having it 15 months now and it's really helped me. :)

Hi Martin,

I had tried councelling a couple of years ago but still needed help, so I told GP that many people had recommended CBT and that I'd like to try it. She put me forward for it. Appointment came through 1 month later.

Just go and ask - Tell them you need to try it!

Good luck Martin.

Zeb xx

Well I am still not exactly sure what CBT does for an ASD itself; it seems to be more about dealing with the after-effects. But many people seem to have benefited from it.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

Well I am still not exactly sure what CBT does for an ASD itself

It doesn't! And I think that's the key issue both yourself and the therapist need to have a firm grasp of otherwise either you end up seeking something impossible or a tension arises when the therapist's interventions don't work (based on the objective of doing something for the ASD). ASD is a neuro-biological difference that you have always, and will always, have. That's a bl**dy hard concept to truly accept but to be clear about what you're working on, both you and the therapist need this understanding.

CBT isn't necessarily about after effects (although it could be) but is about finding different ways of approaching and working with the symptoms of ASD. Particularly for those who have been dx'ed as adults, a whole host of unhelpful coping mechanisms may have been developed, some of which the individual will be aware of and some that they won't. CBT helps you to explore these strategies and ways of responding to situations particularly in terms of the (not always obvious) thought processes that drive them. It helps you to develop the skills to alter the course of or change / replace these thought processes and hence to change the strategies and mechanisms used into more helpful coping methods.

Even with more appropriate thought responses and subsequent actions in place, you will still have an ASD, but the intended outcome is that the effects of this on daily life are diminished. A useful analogy might be to a long-term medical condition. For instance, I have osteo-arthritis. I will always have this. The treatment I take helps manage the symptoms and allows me to live a more 'normal' life in terms of the activities I can engage in. I see CBT as doing the same for my ASD, but the underlying ASD will always be there even if symptomatically it is less apparent.

Hi,

Our OT report suggested CBT would be useful to explore, but our child is too young (8 now was 7 then). We took advice from our EP who does it and she said the youngest she'd ever done was a 10 year old. She said it was important that the person wanted it to work and were open to trying.

Our buy has AS and every year struggles with flying insect phobia which gradually diminishes through the season. He really wants help with this and a few other things. We often plant ideas in his mind which after processing he takes as his own and repeats like mantras, positive mental attitude. We were recommended a self help guide to CBT. 'Overcoming your Child's fears and worries' Cathy Creswell & Lucy Willetts it's quite easy to read.

Hope you find that helpful.

Tamara

Given my expression of Asperger's Syndrome, several sources have commented that cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is likely to be the best route to coping with integrating in the NT world; this is essential to my job hunting and I know some people here have found CBT useful in other ways.

However, CBT costs a fortune to obtain privately and in my experience some medical professionals can be obstructive in putting a patient forward for treatments that cost any money.

Has anybody persuaded an NHS GP to get CBT for them and how did you do so?

Hi

Firstly CBT is not suitable for everybody (AS or not). Secondly I believe you would need a therapist with knowledge and experience of AS. As far as I am aware it mainly helps you deal with your reaction to things including what you say to yourself in your head (the 'inner bully'). I don't believe it will solve social skills problems etc, although if more people could learn not to be so hard on themselves and have a bit more confidence that would probably help in interactions with other people.

CBT is not the 'cure all' it is presented as, and a GP is not the person to decide that a person needs or is suitable for CBT. The procedure is most likely that you go to your GP who refers you to the local Community Mental Health Team, who will carry out an assessment and then decide what help if any you may need. However, if your GP's letter does not indicate any mental health element (anxiety, depression, etc), then it might be difficult to get accepted for assessment. There may be other avenues direct to CBT therapists - does your GP surgery have a Counsellor as part of their team?

Good luck.