Sign in to follow this  
KarenG

Hi everyone..I'm new and nervous!

Hello...my name is Karen and I live in Surrey. My partner has also just joined (he's Forrestgump) and hes already saying how helpful and informative this site is so rather than him reading everything to me..I thought it would be easier to join and read it for myself :)

Our son appears to be displaying symptoms of Aspergers and today was the first step in finding out more with a visit to the GP.

I'm nervous as I know very little about this and what it may mean for him long term but I look forward to speaking to some of you and hopefully finding out a lot more x

Welcome Karen. No need to be nervous!

We've actually had another member from Surrey join the forum just today.

Isn't there a 'Surrey cluster' - that is higher than average diagnosis rates in Surrey?

Well I wasn't born in Surrey, and didn't live in Surrey when I was diagnosed, and I was not diagnosed in Surrey. So if there is a cluster, I am probably not a part of it!

I wonder if a cluster means there is a good diagnostic service in Surrey.

Hi Karen and welcome to the Forum. :)

Karen. :D

Never mind the Surrey cluster there is certainly a cluster of Karens here and also a cluster of children called Ben on the Forum.So if you name you son Ben on the Forum things will get very confused. :lol::lol::lol:

Well I wasn't born in Surrey, and didn't live in Surrey when I was diagnosed, and I was not diagnosed in Surrey. So if there is a cluster, I am probably not a part of it!

I wonder if a cluster means there is a good diagnostic service in Surrey.

thank you for the warm welcome!

I don't know of anyone in the area with autism or aspergers so am about to find out just how good the diagnotic service is first hand! I will let you know. (We are in Sutton by the way..just to narrow it down a bit..Surrey is a big place :) ) Im sure I read on a nother thread about coffee mornings so I may check if there any of those in the area. We had some problems with my eldest son a few years ago and a lot of issues are still unresolved (although it would seem he ticks a lot of aspergers boxes too!) but we went on a parenting course to try and deal with some of his issues and one of the biggest helps of all was just being able to be with other parents in the same boat and to share experiences and to not feel that you were on your own

Hi Karen and welcome to the Forum. :)

Karen. :D

Never mind the Surrey cluster there is certainly a cluster of Karens here and also a cluster of children called Ben on the Forum.So if you name you son Ben on the Forum things will get very confused. :lol::lol::lol:

lol...well would you believe it...his name is Ben. Maybe its the name! lol

]

Hi karen! My name is Claire i'm new to this group too. Just wanted to say good luck with ur GP. I've just got the diagnosis for my eldest son who is 5. It was a bit tough at times to get appointments with everyone i needed to but once we got past that hurdle everything went smoothly. hope everything works out for you x