Sign in to follow this  
ThomasL

Disability benefits compared

Where are the best places in the world to have Asperger's or a similar disability and related problems such as depression, anxiety, etc.?

Here in the US, the richest country in the history of the world, billionaires pay only 15% income tax, and pay millions of dollars in legal bribes to corrupt politicians to keep their taxes low and further cut already skimpy social services to the poor, elderly, and disabled (because they're so concerned about the national debt, you see). On the other hand, we have "homeless" people dying in the streets of every major city. I have to think many of these unfortunate people are suffering from Asperger's or similar disorders. I fear I may end up one of them. It's only family that's kept me from doing so this long, but now both parents are dead, and I'm wearing out my welcome with the last person who gives a damn about me.

In the US it's extremely difficult to qualify for disability benefits (SSI or SSD), especially for people with Asperger's, and if you do, they pay next to nothing - $674/month in most states. Honestly... that's enough for food and a tent to live (and die) in. Plus, even if you qualify, they apparently keep wanting to take it away... always calling you in for re-evaluation every couple of years or so. At least this is my understanding.

I hear it's even worse in Britain, but considerably better in Canada and some other countries. I would love to hear the specifics of Canada, and how it compares to the US system. Is it easier to qualify for disability benefits if you have Asperger's or a similar disorder? How much are the benefits? Do they vary by province? Which provinces provide the most support to people suffering from Asperger's?

What about other countries? Sweden? Norway? Netherlands? Australia? New Zealand? How difficult is it to qualify, and how much are benefits per month?

Also, which states in the US are best? I understand state and local social programs such as subsidized housing, medical care, etc. vary greatly depending on the state (and sometimes city?). I only have a hunch, but perhaps Massachusetts, Minnesota and Oregon are some of the best? Anyone know?

I live in Norway and by law it isn't so difficult to qualify for disability benefits. The biggest problem is that social workers and so doesn't understand the different difficults of Asperger and so they often offer benefits which not will benefit the Asperger, despite that they often are imposed by law to offer those with Asperger other benefits which fit better.

In Norway those with a disability who get full support from state and not working get approx 1500 USD/month (if one have been in work before one may gain more from the state). Disable students can get support from the state which is also approx 1500 USD/month (before tax). Public higher education in Norway is free and normal students get also much support. We have also something called Individual Plan which coordinate the different agencies so that the one with a disability shouldn't need to run all over the country to get his/her rights. In Norway we have a system where each with a disability (or other medical need) pay not more than 300 USD each year. If they go over this payment, they get it free. So for a typical asperger in therapy this means that they may get all therapy free from in example end of february through december that year, since they have payed those 300 USD already to the end of february. All medication or other aids which is in this scheme also get free after those 300 USD are paid.

It is in any case much different benefits those with asperger can get in Norway, but one have as a client the responsibility to crawle the laws to get it, and I can mostly talk for myself and what I have got after working for it the last years:

-A card which state that Im in need of a companion in social situations which gives med the right to have with me one personally chosen person on concerts, cinema, theatre and other cultural arrangments. The companion I chose (which I can change each time if I wish) get free ticket to the arrangement. I get also 50% off on train if I have with me the card and a companion (who also get 50% off).

-Student support and facilitated studies.

-Free physiotherapy.

-Personal assistant.

Not giving aspergers the facilitating which is needed to give they same rights as other people get is discrimination by Norwegian law, which can be punished with fines or imprisonments.

The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration has made one great booklet on Asperger syndrome. This is only in norwegian, but I add a link to the google translate into english of it (not perfect cause of google translate, but it may show a bit about the understanding of asperger and needs in Norway): http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nav.no%2Fbinary%2F236856%2Ffile%3Fdownload%3Dtrue

We are a UK-based forum, with most members being from the UK. This is not really the best place for US-specific advice I'm afraid.

I think it's almost impossible to compare. In the UK we have lots of 'free' services (tax funded) which are only worth something if you access them, have help with housing and other living costs and where I live free local public transport.

My own son is low functioning has an education placement that costs £70,000 a year plus a taxi there and back every day. £120 a week disability living allowance from which I use £50 to buy a brand new seven seater car every three years at highly subsidised rates, and since he turned 16 we lost £20 child benefit but that has been replaced by nearly £100 a week allowance. I would never complain about the benefits we receive. It hasn't replaced the income I lost when I had to give up work to look after my son by any means but it does make a difference.